Thread: Problem with metasploit

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem with metasploit

When I use the 'use' command for any module, I get the error: Failed to load module: etc. Please tell me what I am over looking.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: Problem with metasploit

Looks to me like you don't know what you are doing.
    You also failed at providing any details such as commands and output.
    Try learning more here.
    Metasploit Unleashed - Mastering the Framework

Just burned his ISO

And you could learn some tact and professionalism: That wasn't a very warm reception you gave me. You forget that at one time in your life, you were also a n00b.

I figured out the problem, thanks for nothing. I love ubuntu and their warm, receptive community. I think I will just say goodbye to backtrack. Good bye.

Very good friend of the forum TAPE's Avatar

Dont let the door hit your arse on the way out..

Yossi, would you mind posting a brief synopsis of the solution so others can learn?

Thanks!
    I got 99 problems but the bits ain't one...

Just burned his ISO

skidmarq, you are cool What I did was a very n00bish mistake so not really a need to write a synopsis. Anyways, just in case another n00b makes the same mistake, after running the command 'show exploits' and receiving the list, I was attempting to use the 'use' command to use one of the exploits (just playing around with the software). The mistake I made was attempting to use the name of the exploit rather than the module. A very stupid mistake.

Best of luck to you skidmarq.

We aren't very patient with people who don't seem to have put a whole lot of effort in to their post Yossi. We definitely differ from the Ubuntu forums in that regard. They have something of a "If you cant say anything nice, don't say anything at all" rule there, that in my opinion encourages some lazy posting standards. We have higher standards here, and we do enforce them.

The Ubuntu Linux system also differs a lot from BackTrack Linux, because Ubuntu is designed for general desktop use and BackTrack is specifically a Pentesting distribution. Desktop users and Pentesters are very different user groups, with very different required standards of knowledge. Pentesting requires an ability to apply something of a scientific methodology to the problem of making a computer system work the way you want it to - which is not necessarily the way it was designed to work. You need to understand the way the system works and explore it, trying different things in a systematic and intelligent fashion until you reach the desired goal. And since you will often be paving new (or rarely trod) ground when pentesting, you need to be self reliant. Desktop users on the other hand generally just want the system to do whats its meant to do with as little effort and work as possible. I'm not saying that either approach is bad, but they are very different requiring different mindsets and approaches to solving problems, so you won't be able to take strategies that work with one group and expect them to work with another.

So what was the problem with your post from our perspective?
    • There are any number of Metasploit tutorials around that show how to use the "use" command in msfconsole. Its not an obscure or rarely used command, so examples that you could have followed are not hard to find, which makes it hard to conclude that you spent much time researching this issue before posting here.
    • Your initial post is one paragraph long. Two sentences. It doesn't include information about the actual commands you ran, the exact text of the error message you received, what troubleshooting steps you performed to try and resolve the problem yourself, etc, etc. It's not enough information for people to be able to help you. In short it doesn't look like you put much effort into that post at all. In fact, you appear to have spent more time and effort in writing the post complaining about how you were treated than on the post where you were actually asking for help.

If it was obvious you had made a decent attempt at resolving the problem yourself and you had asked your initial question a little more appropriately you would have received an entirely different reception. It's my hope that you will attempt to meet our communities standards and remain a member here, but if you insist on writing vague vague requests for help and then complaining after being taken to task for it, you may be better off going elsewhere.
    Last edited by lupin; 06-12-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

lupin, Thank you so much for clearing all of this up for me and for your guidance and direction; I'm putting a star by this email that I received and will review it in the future before I make any future posts. Thank you all and sorry about misunderstanding.

-Yossi

Quote Originally Posted by Yossi View Post
    lupin, Thank you so much for clearing all of this up for me and for your guidance and direction; I'm putting a star by this email that I received and will review it in the future before I make any future posts. Thank you all and sorry about misunderstanding.

-Yossi
    You're welcome. I often feel like I'm wasting my breath when I make speeches like that, which is why I don't do it much any more, so its nice when people pay attention. Especially considering that Im really saying it for their benefit and for the benefit of the community, because it would be much easier from my perspective just to ignore/delete any posts that I feel don't come up to scratch.

Anyway, hope you decide to hang around and become a valuable contributing member of the community.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.