Thread: Problems while installing BackTrack 4 Final on HDD

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Problems while installing BackTrack 4 Final on HDD

Good Evening.
    This is my first topic in this forum (and sure not the last ).

I'm trying to install BackTrack 4 Final on my laptop, but all my tries are unsuccessful. Since I had successfully cracked 64 and 128 WEP keys, using a live DVD, I'm getting a little bored since I can't install it on my hard drive.

Basically, I want to have 3 partitions on my HDD. One of them is for Windows XP, other for saving personal data - so I don't have to delete files when I format the Windows partition - and another partition for BackTrack. My HDD has 120GB, so I wanted 15GB's for Windows, 100GB's for data and the other 5GB's for Backtrack.

So, what I did was:
    1st -> Running the Live DVD of BackTrack 4 Final, then inserting startx;
    2nd -> Run the command ubiquity;
    Then, I selected my country (Portugal) and the correct keyboard. Then the problems started:
    - When I click 'Forward', to select the partition I want to install BackTrack in, I can't detect my harddrive on ubiquity, but BackTrack detects them on System > Devices. The partitions are all NTFS, with exception of the BackTrack partition.

Since BackTrack was not detecting any partition on ubiquity, I deleted all partitions, using Windows XP install CD. There was left 120000 megabytes on a Unpartitioned Space.

Then, I did this:
    1st -> Running the Live DVD of BackTrack 4 Final, then inserting startx;
    2nd -> Run the command ubiquity; Then, I selected my country (Portugal) and the correct keyboard.
    When clicking 'Forward', ubiquity detects that amount of Unpartitioned Space (free space). The I create a partition only for BackTrack:
    - I select PRIMARY button;
    - Size: 10000mb
    - Use As: Ext3;
    - Mount Point: / .

ubiquity creates that partition successfully. I click 'Forward' (or 'Install', I don't know cause I'm not using BackTrack now). After the information screen, BackTrack starts the installation. After 50% or about that, that window disappears. When I point the mouse to something, that item disappears - start menu, battery icon, that flag icon... even the Konsole disappears. This computer has a HDD activity led (that blinks when data is being accessed on the HDD). That led stops blinking (no data is beeing accessed).

Then, when I reboot the computer to start the Live DVD, again, when the splash screen appears, I get many errors saying some files (i think that it was files) were not loaded/ found.
    I insert the Windows XP install CD and delete all partitions. Then, when loading BackTrack Live DVD, no errors happen and I can Log on successfully.

I thought I was doing something wrong (Well, I was not thinking that... I was thinking I REALLY did something wrong). I tried a tutorial (a spanish one that I found in this forum). It's in spanish, but since I also know how to speak spanish... I followed it.

After the obvious part (run ubiquity, select country and keyboard), I had to create 3 partitions like this:

First:
    - Select PRIMARY button;

Second:
    - Select PRIMARY button;
    - Size: 20000mb
    - Mount Point: /home .

Third:
    - Select LOGICAL(edited 11/06 @ 08:03) button;
    - Size: 1500mb
    - Use As: Swap Space.

At this time, I already had Windows reinstalled. Still,I haven't created a data partition yet.
    After I create those partitions and click 'Forward'. When the overall progress is at 25 or 50%, that window disappears and the system freezes. No quite actually, since I can move the mouse, but, when I point the mouse to an icon and click it, the computer completely freezes.
    Then, when I reboot the computer to start the Live DVD, again, when the splash screen appears, I get many errors saying some files (i think that it was files) were not loaded/ found.
    I insert the Windows XP install CD and delete all partitions. Then, when loading BackTrack Live DVD, no errors happen and I can Log on successfully.

I tried another tutorial - from this forum -, this time, forgetting the data drive (i thought I could resize the BackTrack partition later to achieve some space for a new partition). I created a new partition like this:
    - Select PRIMARY button;

I click 'Forward'. Again, When the overall progress is at 25 or 50%, that window disappears and the system freezes.

I don't know what I can do more. I really need some help. If you need some information, tell me, on this topic, by PM, email, anything. Thanks for your time.

I'm using a LG external optical drive, since the laptop built in drive is dead. That specific model says that supports DVD+RW, but It didn't opened any. Then, 5 weeks ago, never read more DVD's. A few days after, stopped detecting CD's.
    The laptop is a HP Pavilion ZX5170EA - ZX5000 series - with 3.2Ghz, Broadcom Wireless device and Harman/Kardon frontal speakers. It has almost 7 years.

Best Regards,
    Nuno Garcia.
    Last edited by nunogarcia; 06-11-2010 at 07:04 AM.

Default Re: Problems while installing BackTrack 4 Final on HDD

Read this link on triple boot and see if might work for you Howto - Offensive-security.com.
    The enemy is no longer ignorance - It is vigilance

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Problems while installing BackTrack 4 Final on HDD

Thank you for your reply.

Although I'm not trying to do a triple boot - or I just understand it wrongly - I followed your advice. Yet, at 50% the progress window disappears and any item I point disappears.

Thanks again,

Nuno Garcia.