Thread: BT 2.0(public beta) Lenovo T60 ATI X1400 (and zcom 325hp)

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up BT 2.0(public beta) Lenovo T60 ATI X1400 (and zcom 325hp)

I managed to get BT 2.0 public beta running with the newest atidriver on my T60 wit an ATI X1400. (thanks to "muds" in thread http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...ight=aticonfig)

1.) Download http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run and and save it on an USB stick.

2.) Boot the bt2.0 image which is available from the backtrack download area. (No additional options necessary, maxcpus=1 is a standard options already included by default). The data from the USB stick should be available without any problems within the running BT2.0 system. No need to start an X session.

3.) cd / , copy the ati-driver-installer-8.32.5-x86.x86_64.run to / , and create a tgz with checkinstall ati-driver-installer-8.32.5-x86.x86_64.run (Set a name and a version number when using checkinstall, otherwise you will run into problems). When checkinstall recommends to exclude the the files, don't answer yes!

4.) Using the just created tgz file, create a module with tgz2mo, (and save it on the USB stick)

5.) Use MySlaxCreator (in Windows XP) to include the module to the image. No additional boot options ore chamges are necessary.

6.) I also used a similar method to include the "switch-to-*" scripts from BT1.0 as a module. For this you can also use checkinstall to include /opt/pcmcia/* and /usr/local/bin/switch-to-* to the tgz file to be created. But this step is only due to convenience reasons. I liked the switch-to-* scripts of BT1.0. The ZCom 325hp does not run with the hostap drivers by default, so we need to switch the driver to hostap.

7.) Burn the image and boot it (I actually use my USB stick, thanks to MySlay Creator you need only one click to create a bootable USB stick).

8.) Use the command "ati" to start the X-session. Actually "ati" is just a wrapper for aticonfig ... and startx). You can use Desktop-Resize-and-Rotate from the Menus to set the resolution to 1400x1050.

9.) switch-to-hostap and do whatever you want (kismet, aireplay-ng, ...)

Obviously this small tutorial should also work for other laptops with different ati cards. You just need to download another file from the ati webpage. On my T60 just everything works fine: sound, graphics, my ZCom card, packet injection, ... I did not check how to use the internal wireless card.

Cheers, P

Just burned his ISO

switch-to-hostap is not included in bt2beta. the hostap driver crashes on my senao. same chipset as your z-com. what firmware(s) on the card do you use?

Just burned his ISO

Yes, as I wrote switch-to-hostap is not inlcuded, that's why I made a module out of it for BT2.0beta. I use 1.1.1 as primary and 1.7.4 as station firmware. Cheers, P