Thread: GSM scanning

Default GSM scanning

Hi apart from spending £1000s on gms network scanning hardware is it possible to do this via software and a mobile??

I have had a quick look online and all of the software that ive come across looks like scamware.....

Is this even possible?
    I would like to see what information is transmitting from my samsung H1 Vodafone... It is constantly connecting to the internet and I dont know what its doing....

I thought it might be a good question to ask....

Thanks

Still generating rainbow tables been like 3 weeks

Default Re: GSM scanning

In short - not without building a lot of stuff yourself. Take some time to read through the 3gpp docs. The OTA stuff has at least 9 different permutations of MAC where different logical links pass over different physical links. Sure, you can - in theory - get any ol' handset to give up what's going on over the air, but unless the operator is still in 2g mode (and almost no one is operating a 2g network) all that you get is useless. For instance, default data encryption scheme in 3g is KASUMI (aka A5/3), which is technically breakable - but not in realtime, not 100%, and not without lots of known data to search for. Since I haven't come across a carrier yet that operates without encryption turned on, you won't be able to do anything useful with the data you get - even assuming you're getting the rlc packets.

Anyway, at the end of the day, what exactly do you think you're going to find?

Id like to find out why my phone keeps connecting to the network for..I have a 500meg limit & i dont really use that much but I checked the internet stats on the phone & its nearing 700-800 meg even though I know ive not used that much bandwidth....
    I am always interested in how things work... will have a read many thanks

for that you need bandwidth manager application for your phone. plenty of them around and plenty of them free.

nothing to do with backtrack so i will close this thread. if you need something more, pm me and ill reopen.