Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing DualBoot - BackTrack and WinXP with 5 Primary Partitions

Default Installing DualBoot - BackTrack and WinXP with 5 Primary Partitions

Hey everyone, I was browsing the current help/tutorial files here and none of them solved my problems, so I had to do it myself. I encountered a LOT of "Missing or Corrupt hal.dll", Black screen with blinking white cursor on the upper left hand corner with no error code and also an error when I loaded Back|Track from boot I got a GRUB prompt.

This guide below went through all the major Grub/Win/Dual errors with success. This guide will get ANYONE running Back|Track and XP with 5 partitions. Someone on this forum called 'Dude' said I cant have 5 partitions, BUT I DO and IT WORKS!

Another thing, this forum is in php and like most forums the layout of a text dump gets a rearranged structure and this guide is really LONG, but works and ITS VERY EASY [even though it took me 5 days to figure everything out you can do this is in a few hours]. I originally uploaded THE TUTORIAL on my gopher site because the computer I run at the moment finds modern software a real bitch and I have to use Lynx, bboard, com, pine and gopher as means of communication.

Here is the URL for the Tutorial/Guide:

http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw...rack+and+WinXP

This is a good guide to using the windows bootloader to bring up the grub bootloader which in turn loads Back|Track. Interesting solution you've come up with here.
    ---
    Useful HowTo Threads <-- Why do people think I'm joking when I link this?

Thanks hobbes for your compliment, it's much appreciated

Just burned his ISO

Default 3 n00b Q's

Hi The_Denv

Thank you, this is probably exactly what I'm looking for! I have a full disk encryption program (drive crypt plus pack) for my C: and winXP. This has to be opened on boot in the MBR.

Anyway, I'm a total N00b and I did my best to follow your guide, and I didn't get it to work yet. There are some parts I have difficulties with, hopefully you will find the time to bring me some light.

So number 1. would be this part:

----------

$ grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sda7 /dev/sda7

Add the folloing text and save (CTRL+X >> Press 'Y' >> Hit 'ENTER'
    Then exit it, it might show some wierd error like: Uknown dir or
    something...just continue to exit.

timeout=4
    title Slax
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz max_loop=255 root=/dev/sda7 vga=791 rw

----------

When I read further in the guide I get a nano command that looks a bit similar to this situation? Could there be one line missing in the guide here?

Number 2.

----------

$ dd if=/dev/sda7 of=/mnt/sda5/backtrack.mbr bs=512 count=1

----------

my fat32 is a different size, I guess I should change th bs=512 to bs= 42235 in my case (42 gig) and "count=1" I just leave as it is (cos I dont know better). Could this be correct?

Number 3.

----------

$ nano /mnt/hda4/boot/grub/menu.lst

I then added this text:

timeout=4
    title Slax
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz max_loop=255 root=/dev/sda7 vga=normal rw

----------

I'm confused here cos I don't know how to replace your hda4, is that your swap disk?

I think if I had more info on these three Q's my chances are better to get it running.

Looking forward to this, thanks a lot, again!

All the best,

Carl

<snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by nordland
    Hi The_Denv

Thank you, this is probably exactly what I'm looking for! I have a full disk encryption program (drive crypt plus pack) for my C: and winXP. This has to be opened on boot in the MBR...
    Yeh man, I got your email and I modified my tutorial. Thanks for spotting the flaws in it. I didnt get someone else to overview and spellcheck/grammar check it plus I always enjoy a toke when Im on my computer so I do make a few mistakes now and again.

Anyway, cheers for spotting that out. The problem is now solved, fixed and re-published on the same URL as I primarily posted.

Good Luck!

EDIT: Sorry, I just looked at the date that you posted this. Sorry about the time I have been busy.

*Bump
    I had to bump it becaus eof my mates finding it hard to find it here]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks, your tutorial might be very helpful solving my multiboot (bootmanager) problem. I use safeboot drive-encryption which claims the MBR. This means no other bootmanager than the windows bootmanager can be put in the MBR. I used the same trick of copying the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition to c:\ and modify boot.ini.

BTW, in your tutorial you name the backtrack bootsector 'MBR'. A harddisk has 1 Masterbootsector, which is located at the first sector of the entire harddisk (active partition). The first sectors of the other bootable partitions are called 'bootsector' (BS), not MBR.

Many many thanks for your great guide! It has proved SUPERIOR compared with any other dual boot, really...

Only problems were
    $ cp /boot/boot/vmlinuz /mnt/sda7/boot
    to
    $ cp /boot/vmlinuz /mnt/sda7/boot

and
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz max_loop=255 root=/dev/sda7 vga=791 rw
    to
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz max_loop=255 root=/dev/sda7 vga=791 ro

, otherwise I have it in a semi-auto-install-script (changed my /dev/sdax).

No more crying "Windows rewrote my mbr" or "I lost Windows and BT". That was a mans job to do. Thanks again.
    ExitOnly@

-----------------------------------------------------
    Learn to live, but live to learn, eh?

Just burned his ISO

Red face Dead link for this tutorial?

Hey just wondering if this is a floodgap problem or something else but when I click on the link I get a gopher/floodgap proxy error

is there an alternate link for this tutorial??

cheers

linuxbeast

Could someone explain what goes in the "Source (BackTrack CD)" field of the stupid gui? I'm trying to do an install to usb flash drive. Thans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast