Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I passed the OSCP challenge!

Hybrid View

Default I passed the OSCP challenge!

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is not an appropriate section to post this. In the old forum I would have put this in the general section.

I am very proud to say that over the weekend I successfully completed my OSCP certification challenge! I just wanted to tell everyone that is considering taking the course that it is absolutely worth it. The material is great for people who are seriously interested in IT security but don't have a lot of hands on experience. There's nothing better than having the lab to remote into and practice all of your techniques in a safe, controlled, legal environment. I was probably one of the last people to purchase the V2 material which is geared towards backtrack 3. I enjoyed it so much that I am still going to purchase the V3 material which is geared towards backtrack 4. For the price I honestly believe that you will not find a better valued certification in all of IT. I am much more proud of obtaining this than my Microsoft certifications.

I found the challenge very difficult. I used about 18 hours out of the allowed 24 to obtain a passing score. That includes two half hour breaks. I believe that a seasoned security expert probably would have breezed right through. I can't mention any details but it does absolutely give you a real feel of how well you understood the course material.

I hope to someday be able to take the CTP course but I know I have a lot of learning to do first.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: I passed the OSCP challenge!

sorry for this question but, how old are you (if I may ask)?

i´m 18 and i go to an IT school (in Germany). After this school I definitely want to stay in the IT environment.(perhaps study IT)
    i´m very interested in IT security and my dream is to work in this branch someday.
    My question is, what a knowledge level is needet for the OSCP and what advantages do you have now in your job. How long have you trained for the test?

haez

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dudeman02379 View Post
    I believe that a seasoned security expert probably would have breezed right through.
    Do I count as one? It took me a fair whack of mental powers to do it, and probably around the same time frame.

But, I don't know how the mods will go with this, there are forums for the OSCP stuff (and the rest of them), you were offered a forum account option when you signed up. forums.offensive-security.com is still online, and active as far as it goes (more active now than it was when I first joined it).

I don't mean to be massively rude, congratulations on passing and all that, but most of the senior members here have done the course too, and they keep the information about it well confined within the forums apropos for them. That way one doesn't accidentally let information slip out and it keeps it centralised where it should.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    It took me a fair whack of mental powers to do it, and probably around the same time frame.
    Not to brag, but it took me about 12 hours including documenting it all and sending it in. Actually, that did sound like I was bragging, didn't it? Im sure other people have done it quicker though, and it's not really a race anyway, so I don't think time-to-finish is that significant as long as you do actually finish.

I agree that the exam requires some thought and effort to pass, and it's an admirable accomplishment to do so. Congrats OP.

But, I don't know how the mods will go with this
    I'll let it pass... this time. Next time it will be off with the OP's head!!!

We have allowed discussion about the OSCP and associated PWB course here before, so as long as no one starts going into detail about what they faced in the course or exam (there are appropriate places in the offensive-security forums to do both of those things) a little discussion about the course here is fine. Of course its always possible that one of the other mods or one of the admins will disagree with me, in which case this thread might get closed or disappeared, but I don't think muts will be opposed to a little more exposure for his awesome course and certification.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Not to brag, but it took me about 12 hours including documenting it all and sending it in.
    I had been trying to be nice you know :P

I rather think muts won't mind.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

I had been trying to be nice you know :P
    Suspected as much, but couldn't resist sticking the knife in a little

I overestimated a bit too - I had actually done enough to pass a lot earlier than when I actually stopped.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Developer

I'm cool with promoting the course and people posting their satisfaction with the material as long as no one starts talking about course content or sharing any materials or else OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!!

Thanks guys. I didn't want to start any controversy here by posting this. Believe me I am VERY careful not to disclose any details about the test or even the course itself. It took too much hard work and to throw the cert away from running my mouth would just be plain stupid.

Lupin,
    I am not surprised you completed the test much faster than I. I have read a lot of the material on the grey corner and from the looks of things you know what you are doing.

Haez,
    I am 27 years old and I currently work for an IT consulting company. I began working in IT (at a small home computer/network repair shop) when I was about 18. IT security auditing has been something that I have been teaching myself over the past couple years in my spare time just because I love it. Hopefully I will be able to continue to expand my knowledge and at some point do it professionally.

Why do you guys keep secret the content of the course? What's with the mystery the surrounds the course? I think it would only benefit people to know what they spend money on. I know there are demo videos and we can read about the topics, but big deal, it's just class!
    I just don't get what's to hide! It's not like it's teaching you black magic or something that special.
    You make it sound so overrated, when you can just pick up book on the topics and study them yourself, not that $800 is that much money, but come on. What's with the hype!?

I hope I don't come off as disrespectful, I surely have all the respect for the developers,but it's not like it's the last class you will ever need to become some uberhacker.

Godcronos ... are you sure ? Did you sign in for an offensive-security course ?
    Why do you think they cost a fortune ? because they are just classes ?
    You can test what you learn there, you have an offensive security lab to play in and see exactly how things work.
    And the content must remain hidden because if all could download the course from the torrent for example who would be stupid enought to pay for it ?
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast