Thread: router passwd retrieving?

Just burned his ISO

Question router passwd retrieving?

Hi,

I have serious problems...

First of all, I've managed to loose my pendrive, I really loved it, but is doesn't matter now. The real matter, is that my passwd for my router was on that.. I could read my wpakey from one of the non used laptops, it was saved in the windows's registry, so I have access over ethernet and wifi too, but I need to get into the router for some portforwarding, and adding a mac adress filter to a new client machine.

I know, this is the part when everybody says, to reset the router with the button on the back of it... The problem is, that I don't know my ISP-s username or passwd, and if I just phone them, they will charge me for 3 months of service fee if they have to help me by MY mistake, which is likely my mistake to loose the username/password This is the country that I live in....

I saw a few tutorials with dic attacks, but clearly its gonna be useless for me. I used to store the passwd on my pendrive, because it was like that: S[a+13 or stg, so I don't know what to do with it.

I don't know what information is needed for you, to help me, if you want for sure. Anyway, my router is a TP-LINK WR340G TL-WR340G (its cheap and sucks, hope it makes my job easier).

So, if anyone could help me, or show the first steps I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: router passwd retrieving?

It sounds like your ISP kind of sucks. Charging a service fee for calling them up and asking what your assigned password is. Unfortunately though, thats exactly what you're going to have to do.

Id suggest you write down the password for your ISP when they tell you. And if they charge you for the service call, Id consider switching ISPs.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

your first step would be to search harder fyi you answered your own question. <I know, this is the part when everybody says, to reset the router with the button on the back of it...> <The problem is, that I don't know my ISP-s username or passwd> use the default login and password, and if you dont know it google knows it.
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

Just burned his ISO

Yes, I know my isp is 'kind of' sucks, but it provides 90mbits/40mbits for a really cheap price (in my country a 8mbit dsl connection costs double than mine). So its sucks, but yeah, cant do much :\

"use the default login and password, and if you dont know it google knows it. "

I wrote that I changed my routers passwrd from admin/admin, and made it random, stored on my pendrive, which i've lost... so its not an option

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucimaci View Post
    Yes, I know my isp is 'kind of' sucks, but it provides 90mbits/40mbits for a really cheap price (in my country a 8mbit dsl connection costs double than mine). So its sucks, but yeah, cant do much :\

"use the default login and password, and if you dont know it google knows it. "

I wrote that I changed my routers passwrd from admin/admin, and made it random, stored on my pendrive, which i've lost... so its not an option

So use the reset button. If there is no reset button contact the ISP and ask them. This is not a backtrack issue.