Hello Backtrackers,
I've been using Ubuntu (Feisty) for a couple of years and have been doing basically what this distro is all about, pen testing. I'm really enjoying Backtrack but am having a couple of problems and have literally been trying to figure them out for about a week now, with my last resort going to these forums before I reinstall Ubuntu.

Specs: Dell Inspirion 6400 Notebook with Intel Wireless (iwlcore/iwl3945) card.
USB Wireless: Alfa awus036h
Running on HD install

Some questions:
1. My Alfa Awus036H card comes up in BT4F as driver rt2870sta. From everything I've read about people getting this card working properly, everyone is using the rtl8187 drivers, and I've compiled them without error multiple times and blacklisted the other drivers and loaded the rtl8187s and can't get my interface to show up on iwconfig. (Do I need to add my dev id to a header file or something somewhere?)

2. Tab autocompletion is better on ubuntu out of the box. For instance when modprobe-ing drivers tab will list the currently installed drivers on the machine, with BT4 I have to know the driver name verbatim. I'm sure there's a configuration for this but I can't find it. Any pointers?

3. Wireshark absolutely will not show me anything but Broadcast / Beacon traffic, non-originating from my machine. I've read the FAQ for wireshark many times. Promiscuous mode is on. I have no problems doing this in Ubuntu (with a different laptop), so I know how it works. I can't narrow it down if it's the card or the drivers.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text and helping me fix my problem or pointing me in the right direction!

-Moon