Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

Just burned his ISO

That is correct. RT73 Drivers.

I have never actually tried what you have mentioned. I am more then happy to try next time I boot up BT.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

rt73 is really a good chipset....support all attacks....

i use this for arp amplification, my record for today is 1284 packets per secs.......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Yea I currently have a belkin usb wireless adapter, which uses the rt73 chipset, and I'm very pleased with it's performance. However, I want to be able to create an Access Point, by putting it into Master mode. The standard rt73 drivers dont allow this, but the rt2x00 drivers do. However, to get those to work you need the 2.6.22 kernel
    I have tried recompiling BT with the kernel and it worked, but I then had problems with merging the driver's GIT into the kernel.
    ANYWAYS... back onto topic, are there any usb wireless adapters which have an external antenna and don't use the rt73 chipset?

So what if your notebook doesn't have PCMCIA and instead is equipped with the newer 'express card' slot? this is the case with my tx1120us from HP. I have a broadcom internal, and I also have my Belkin USB dongle working for basic wifi stuff.

any suggestions on an express card?
    --
    "Linux is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

"Linux users swear by their OS, and Windows users swear at their OS."

Quote Originally Posted by operatorone View Post
    Use USB instead, as stated before on more than one occasion, express cards have no support under linux as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by operatorone View Post
    So what if your notebook doesn't have PCMCIA and instead is equipped with the newer 'express card' slot? this is the case with my tx1120us from HP. I have a broadcom internal, and I also have my Belkin USB dongle working for basic wifi stuff.

I have yet to find an express card that is useful for anything.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    Use USB instead, as stated before on more than one occasion, express cards have no support under linux as yet.
    My bad. I was thinking I just hadn't found anything, but that I was lookin in the wrong spot. I agree with prez though, after making the post I set about searching for any useful ExpressCards and I was unable to find any devices which weren't either 1)useless or 2) already onboard my notebook. <shrug>

So far I am happy to have WiFi, I haven't even gotten to the injection part of things yet.
    --
    "Linux is user-friendly. It's just very selective about who its friends are."

"Linux users swear by their OS, and Windows users swear at their OS."

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    I have yet to find an express card that is useful for anything.
    Does this count??
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO granwizzard's Avatar

Hello everyone,

i saw in the ubiquiti networks that they have a card with this name Super range Xpress.

I want to know if it´s compatible with BT2 the chipset is atheros 5006.

If you want to now more informations about this card e leave here the link.
    ubnt.com/downloads/srx_datasheet.pdf

Thank you all

Ps:I´m sorry for my english
    Put the www befores the rest, i don´t have permissions yet to post url´s.

Default Simple way of choosing wifi cards

I have skimmed through all of the pages of this thread finding users having issues with which wifi card to choose and expecting a response. I am now going to give those people a hint on howto search for a card that will satisfy their needs instead of asking here and expecting others for response. Now I have noticed some users such as balding parrot posting replies and guides which if I mentioned my methods may overlap his. I apologise for that but this is probably a faster way out to prevent people asking all the time.

Step 1: Locate the model number. For example, I saw this shop selling D-Link DWL-G650 wifi card that has all these capabilities but does not tell me what chipset does it have and/or is it compatible with linux and bt2 in this case. I grab the information `DWL-G650' and I pipe that into google.

Step 2: Identify the possible chipset the wifi card may have. Google is a great source of information for those of you who are unaware. You may have other search engines that you prefer but I like Google because I know of a few tips and tricks that I can do with it and that I am more accustomed. What I would do is with google is I type`DWL-G650; chipset' and look closely at the sites google has provided. Some sites does reviews and may hint you on the chipset whilst others will give you more information. In my case, I have found a fair few sites that mention DWL-G650 contains Atheros chipset which means Atheros seems to be widely supported and may work.

If I could not pinpoint the exact chipset that it may contain after searching for at least 10 minutes I would talk to the shop owner who sells the card to allow me test the equipment. In most cases they would not allow you however, they may have conditions such as 15% fee for refund because they have to restock, etc. In this scenario, it is up to you whether you want to test it out and risk it or go to another shop where they sell it and ask them again.

Step 3: Testing and conclusion. Having a laptop to test the equipment (mainly with PCMCIA, USB, mini-pci, CF) I could then test it on the spot to rectify the exact chipset it contains. Either way, I can see which chipset its got when running under linux and then I would remember the details of it. If I am happy or not happy with the product I can then talk to them on the spot (This is the reason why laptops are handy as opposed to lugging around desktops and/or testing pci cards) about it and come to a decent negotiation if I am not happy with the card and this is where you could probably bargain because of their poor research and/or its not the product that you wanted because it lacked so and so features.

With the information I got, I could then post it onto bt's HCL:Wireless page and notify others.

There are many people who aren't aware of support channels for specific chipsets on a card. For atheros chipsets the developers behind it are madwifi and not only do they have a site but they also have irc channel on irc.freenode.net #madwifi. Lurking in there will provide you updates as such about support for specific atheros powered chipsets that aren't supported.

For those with prism cards, I presume it would be known as hostap drivers and I am sure there will be support if you google around for irc channels as such. PrismGT owners should be looking at prism54 drivers. Their support is on irc.freenode.net #prism54. Do be warned that patience is the key in this room as response is not always quick compared to #madwifi (mainly atheros chipset support channel).

For those who have Broadcom BCM43xx, there is a channel #bcm-users on irc.freenode.net. Again, the same deal with prism54 channel, patience is the key at times.

Now, I am not going to list through all the possible chipsets and their support but if you ask google correctly you will get a decent response.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast