Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

Ya I meant a USB wireless device in the same form factor as a USB memory key.

Thanks for the wired info!
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Ya I meant a USB wireless device in the same form factor as a USB memory key.

Thanks for the wired info!
    I agree. I use a 3com 3CXFE575CT as a failsafe rj45 lan card as it's driver has been included in the kernel probably since the early 2.4's!
    I've yet to find a senario where it doesn't just work,
    (It's also supported with severely limited hardware, like re-installing the OS on the old Cobalt Raq range)
    I've always seen it as an old, reliable "generic" lan card.

As for wifi, have you looked at the Alfa AWUS036-S?
    That's a very popular choice, very well supported and has the usual sma connector.

Thanks Re@lity I'll check it out.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

I'm just curious.
    How far can the Alfa 500 mW with a 9 dBi Omnidirectional antenna actually reach?
    I mean, how far can the AP be away before I loose an internet connection approximately?
    - Poul Wittig

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Thats a hard question with 2 many factors to accurately answer, perhaps (stabily) not as far as you think. The biggest factor being the transmitter on the AP. If you want to keep a stable signal when picking up wifi at unusually far distances directionals are WAY better. I personally use an awus036h with a 18dbi yaggi and i must say the results are the best i have had so far. Also when performing attacks far away, from experimentation directionals work much better, DOES ANYONE DISAGREE WITH THIS? I performed a succesful attack on my sisters router with the yaggi that a 24db omni could not. Through quiet alot of money spent and the chance to experiment I have found that yaggis are best for me, remember some paroblic dishes have a 3 degree angle as aposed to my yaggi at 36 degree. Remember wifi scatters. I found, well for me any way, that the yaggi works best. P.S always go for a long usb cable as aposed to a long coax, coak drops rf, usb does not
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

I have both the Proxim 8470-WD and 300mW Ubiquiti cards. I only use the Proxim; despite claiming to be high powered I find I get worse reception with the Ubiquiti.

Quote Originally Posted by JF1980 View Post
    I have both the Proxim 8470-WD and 300mW Ubiquiti cards. I only use the Proxim; despite claiming to be high powered I find I get worse reception with the Ubiquiti.
    Sensitivity has nothing to do with transmission power. I have not looked at the technical specifications of these two devices but it is possible that the Proxim card actually has better sensitivity than the Ubiquiti card, which would explain your findings.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thanks for the informing reply killedaninja. The more I read about wireless the more interesting it's starting to get.
    I just bought the Alfa 500 mW online and can't wait to get it ^^
    - Poul Wittig

Just burned his ISO

Im looking for an expresscard 54 for my hp that will either be atheros or have injection and goes into monitor mode. I know that the Alfa 500 mW is highly recommended, but i dont know if i want something sticking out of my laptop, but these 54's seem difficult to find and a bit rare. I havent found anything on the site because when i search for it, i mostly get the other sizes. If there arent any of that size i might end up getting the Alfa 500 mW but i would just like something a little more discrete.

Quote Originally Posted by hardhittertennis View Post
    Im looking for an expresscard 54 for my hp that will either be atheros or have injection and goes into monitor mode. I know that the Alfa 500 mW is highly recommended, but i dont know if i want something sticking out of my laptop, but these 54's seem difficult to find and a bit rare. I havent found anything on the site because when i search for it, i mostly get the other sizes. If there arent any of that size i might end up getting the Alfa 500 mW but i would just like something a little more discrete.
    HP lappies are woeful along with IBM, they have a whitelist of minipci/minipcie wireless cards to be inserted into their bay. Good luck finding one that will work with HP. On the other hand, there has been some recommendations.. search for ath9k.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast