Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

Just burned his ISO

What usb card from this page w ww. konfygurator.c om/komponente /?q=1812 i should buy, because in serbia haven't ubiqui, alfa, edimax etc.
    PS sorry for bad english and spaces in url

Just burned his ISO

Hello Everyone

i want to buy a new usb wireless adaptor

i'm looking at either the

Edimax EW-7318USG hXXp://XXX.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477978/-/Product.html?searchstring=EW-7318USg&searchsource=0

or more preferbly the Alfa 500mw AWUS036H, the cheapest i've found it is on ebay but there is a big price difference between these 2 (Below)!
    the model number and chipset is the same (according to the description) can someone tell me if i'm going crazy or something? are they the same?

hXXp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-500mw-Alfa-Networks-AWUS036H-USB-Wifi-Adapter-wlan_W0QQitemZ350047557484QQihZ022QQcategoryZ45002 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hXXp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-500mW-USB-Adapter-Wireless-G-B-RP-SMA-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ290219176887QQihZ019QQcategoryZ45002 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem

also is there a huge difference between the Edimax EW-7318USG and Alfa? i'm guessing if most of you could choose you would choose the alfa model right?

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by mafia12 View Post
    Hello Everyone
    Hello mafia12

i want to buy a new usb wireless adaptor

i'm looking at either the

Edimax EW-7318USG hXXp://XXX.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3477978/-/Product.html?searchstring=EW-7318USg&searchsource=0

or more preferbly the Alfa 500mw AWUS036H, the cheapest i've found it is on ebay but there is a big price difference between these 2 (Below)!
    the model number and chipset is the same (according to the description) can someone tell me if i'm going crazy or something? are they the same?

hXXp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-500mw-Alfa-Networks-AWUS036H-USB-Wifi-Adapter-wlan_W0QQitemZ350047557484QQihZ022QQcategoryZ45002 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hXXp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-500mW-USB-Adapter-Wireless-G-B-RP-SMA-Antenna-Jack_W0QQitemZ290219176887QQihZ019QQcategoryZ45002 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem
    No, you're not going crazy... they look the same to me.

The one company is clearly a freaking rip-off, imho.

also is there a huge difference between the Edimax EW-7318USG and Alfa?
    Yes... there is a big difference. The Edimax EW-7318USG is very nice in terms of compatibility and because it has a rp/sma connector

BUT the Alfa 500mW also has those features and is a lot more powerful than the Edimax EW-7318USG.

i'm guessing if most of you could choose you would choose the alfa model right?
    That's correct... most, if not all of us would choose the Alfa 500mW over the Edimax EW-7318USG anyday.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

thanks lonewolf thats a very fast and informative reply! i thought they were both the same, just different colour?

weird! anyway i'm getting the Alfa! i hope it get here before the weekend so i can get a full weekend to try and test the security on my home wireless network

EDIT i want to make my alfa as powerful as possible what the best antenna i can get for my alfa?

i want it so i can pick up wireless conections from the other side of the world, should i get a mini dish? only joking i want one thats pretty portable - obviously (and reasonable priced)

thanks guys

Just burned his ISO

Default hey

i am looking to buy a new wireless card but i wont it for good signal catch and wont to use it with aircrack_ng the scrpit that does everithing juz by the type of some comamnds can ny1 help?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kajal4zain View Post
    i am looking to buy a new wireless card but i wont it for good signal catch and wont to use it with aircrack_ng the scrpit that does everithing juz by the type of some comamnds can ny1 help?
    Yeah here is some help:
    Read this damn thread that you posted in Starting at the beginning!
    The answers are in this thread already.
    Once you have read that then go here and read some more.
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....p/HCL:Wireless
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Default My new USB adapter

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that i just recently bought the 500mw Alfa Network USB Card (AWUS036H), and just wanted to throw my two cents in saying that this card works great and haven't had any problems with it. I bought it off eBay, from DATA Alliance and got it within a week of paying. I remember reading thew 21 pages on this topic and am glad i did, this USB adapter is well worth it. If anyone has any questions about it please ask, ill do my best to answer them.

Just burned his ISO

Just want to add that I ordered the Proxim Orinoco Gold b/g pc card two months ago for my laptop. Today it finally arrived and it works amazing with BackTrack 3 BETA.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Perspective of a No0b: Notes on VI, OSx, and Linksys WUSB54GC-

The following post outlines why and how you can adapt a driver in VI for a usb dongle. Even if this set of specific instructions doesn't apply to you, some of it might be helpful. (I've seen several people ask how the hell you're supposed to save something in VI for instance).

WUSB54GC works well with BT2 and is available in India. If you by chance have osx and want your card to work in your main OS, you will need the following info:

The chipset for the WUSB54GC is RT73, which is not supported by the manufacturer, Ralink (in osx). They only support Linux distros with regard to this particular chipset. So here's the tut:

Os X 10.4.11

Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
    Model No: WUSB54GC
    Manufactured 09/2007

Information found in System Profiler
    USB device info:
    Version 0.0.1
    Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys
    ProductID: 0x0020
    VendorID: 0x13b1

1. Download this driver: (From Ralink)
    "RTUSB D70-1.1.3.0 D71W-1.1.7.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_10.dmg"
    2. Install in usual way (mount the .dmg and then install the driver that corresponds to your OS... then restart like it says).
    3. Open terminal
    4. cd /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/
    5. sudo vi Info.plist
    6. Edit any of the keys and fill with following:
    note: in VI (a screen-oriented text editor that exists in linux/unix, which you just opened with step #5), you just begin typing to enter 'insert mode'.. you also can't see all the entries just by using the scrollbar... just hold the down arrow to see the whole plist.

There are several instances of the following entries, in alternating <Key></Key> <String></String> entries. Several little blocks of text exist so that the driver you just downloaded will recognize several different chipsets. After the first text block, you begin to see blocks that have the format below. You need to change one of the entries to look like the following:

LINKSYS

CFBundleIdentifier <---find this
    com.Ralink.driver.RT73 <----change next line to this.... and so on vvvv
    IOClass
    RT2573USBWirelessDriver
    IOProviderClass
    IOUSBDevice
    bcdDevice
    idProduct
    idVendor

Press Escape to enter 'Command Mode'
    7. Save file and quit (by typing ':wq' in command mode)
    8. sudo /usr/sbin/kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
    9. sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/RT2500USBWirelessDriver.kext/
    10. Insert your USB dongle into the computer.
    If you get some bullshit about 2 copies of the .kext or a .kext.swp file after steps 9 or 10, the easiest thing to do is just uninstall the driver (using the mounted .dmg 'uninstall ' that was in the same folder as the original install pckg. Then reinstall and start over. Errors concerning 9 or 10 are usually the result of an improper save in step 7. You also have to be very careful about typos, as always.
    When all is said and done and you plugin your USB dongle, it should light up (for the first time).

The 'Linux wireless LAN support' chart is helpful... i can't post links yet, but the url is in the forums somewhere.

If anybody could extend this tutorial to include modifying plists to cover a wider range of USB devices, that'd be great. If you look at the aforementioned chart, you will see the product and vendor ID's... for a bunch of different wireless cards. they are in Hex, and you need to convert them to Dec before you enter them (for your wireless card). I'm guessing the above-mentioned strategy could be used to adapt any driver that is 'close' to your chipset if the correct driver is not available. Anybody have any insight on that?

Exclamation Dlink DWL-G650 vs Netgear WG511T

Hiya everyone!

Between the Dlink DWL-G650 and Netgear WG511T, which card is better?

At my town, it's hard to find that netgear but dlink is everywhere here.
    Another quick question, how do we know the revision of the dlink when we want to buy it? When I surfing this thread, I found out revision C4 is good on backtrack. Out of the box I supposed???

-sorry for my poor english

Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast