Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

Just burned his ISO imported_proimage's Avatar

Default BT3 and Ubiquiti Networks SR71 USB

Hi Everyone,

Have anyone tried out the Ubiquiti Networks SR71USB with BT3 hdd installed and performed successfully the Aircrack suite and the other wireless cracking tools available in BT3.

Regs

Just burned his ISO

Just burned his ISO

Default Atheros AR5800 802.11n 300mbps mini pci express card, any good ?

I'm getting an Atheros AR5800 802.11n 300mbps mini pci express card which should do the trick in the future though.

Do you know if that card is ok for cracking wep /wpa / wpa2 with injection ?

Cheers
    Mike

Just burned his ISO

hey guys, really new at this and wanted to buy a new card. Any help would be appreciated. Ive been looking at some of the threads and alot of people are talking about usb wireless cards, is this better than wireless express cards? like i said all help appreciated.

sorry for being such a newbster

Just burned his ISO

WOW... I originally started searching (with in mind) for "the best USB blah blah," and after reading ALL 19 pages (geesh who let this thread get out of control? lol) I've come to find that the most listed cards with success from my POV would be (Not in order):

1) Alfa 500mw AWUS036H

2) Edimax EW-7318USg

3) Netgear WG111

4) Ubiquiti 300mW

5) ZyDAS ZD1211

Post after post... sorta like watching the stranded asking for help, and all the locals (but a few) laugh and scoff at them. Being a noob myself and avoiding all this, in hopes that reading + searching would aid in my quest to not being a noob in regard to this topic... Conclusion, semi-noob. Rarely did I find any SOLID answers saying "Hey I got this, it worked with x,y,z programs for certain..." Just a bunch of vagary and "well if z then get x, if q then get r..." I think what people are looking for is the LATTER: Flat out - HEY GET THESE b/c they work PRECISELY with these programs. Sorta like an all-in-one answer.

I think noobs like myself are NOT looking for the most in-depth answers and figures with graphs. We're looking for a solid answer: Get the Alfa, the Ubiqiti, the Edimax. Remember you're dealing with new people here, much like trying to explain to your parents how a comp works in relation to the internet = keep things as simple as possible until they show increasing levels of understanding.... well I'm going to hunt down an Alfa and see if the price is right... if not, then Edimax time. I hope this is the 2nd to last time I have to post in here. The 2nd time being "I got this X-dongle/card and it WORKS." That's all I have to say, have a good one folks and please don't even stress. K.I.S.S your problems away: Keep It Simple Stupid

Just burned his ISO

Hey,

I've been looking into getting a new Wireless USB Adapter, and so far the 500mw Alfa Network AWUS036H is looking pretty good.

I looked on ebay for that one and found that seller .lonewolf was talking about.

The part though about the multiple chipsets is what is keeping me from buying it right now. Which Chipset is the correct one? I just looked at one of his listings and it has a "RealTek 8187 also known as RTL8187L" chipset. Is this the correct one?

I read on a site that the rtl8187 is the one I need. Is there a difference?

Mostly, I'm just curious which chipset is the correct one.

Thanks for any help!

I've never seen the locals call other people noobs or newbie here. Only idiot and itard.

BackTrack Wiki
    Code:
    Getting started with BackTrack

* Changelog
        * Laptop Compatibility
        * Wireless Card Compatibility
        * GPSD Compatibility
        * Backtrack Howto Page
        * Generic *nix Howto Page
        * External Howto Page
        * Tools List
        * Cheat Codes
        * Screen Shots
        * CD Label Cover
        * Additional Modules
        * Additional Links
        * FAQ
        * Bugs 

-muts
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Question

Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    I've never seen the locals call other people noobs or newbie here. Only idiot and itard.
    Either way same diff, it's not very respectable, then I guess the iTards/noobs that completely want to get hand-held could get very annoying! I myself try and search and do things as much as I can.... but when you've got threads like this with 19 PAGES of repetitiveness, it's hard to weed your way to a solid answer. Searching works, but it takes a lot of work and or luck (happenstance) to stumble upon what you're looking for. Since I'm not a complete noob I sorta know what I'm looking for... but most don't and just keep searching in circles, until someone completely spells it out for them on the wall to find.

ANYWAY... I ordered my Alfa early this morning from fleabay - should be here by the end of the week... Dang it, it BETTER work 100% from the box like everyone claims... Dang $62 for that thing, and that's not the one with the extra 8dbi antenna. I'll build one if I need to...

BTW_ about that "different chip" afaik, they come with the Realtek 8187L so everything should be working as on
    hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless#ALFA_Networks_AWUS036H

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by v12v12 View Post
    hxxp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless#ALFA_Networks_AWUS036H
    Thanks for the link. I had seen it before, but I just never noticed that the rtl8187 was the DRIVER, not the chipset

On hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers it lists rtl8187 as the chipset. Oh well, thanks to looking at that link more carefully, I now feel safe in buying the Alfa!

One small question actually. I'm looking at 2 ebay listings by the same seller.
    One is "Alfa 500mW USB Adapter Wireless WiFi G/B Antenna Jack"

and the other is:

"Alfa 500mW USB Adapter Wireless G/B RP-SMA Antenna Jack"

Is there any real difference? Only difference I can see is like $0.02 and the name.

Any info would be great.

Just burned his ISO

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBurn View Post
    Thanks for the link. I had seen it before, but I just never noticed that the rtl8187 was the DRIVER, not the chipset

On hxxp://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers it lists rtl8187 as the chipset. Oh well, thanks to looking at that link more carefully, I now feel safe in buying the Alfa!

One small question actually. I'm looking at 2 ebay listings by the same seller.
    One is "Alfa 500mW USB Adapter Wireless WiFi G/B Antenna Jack"

and the other is:

"Alfa 500mW USB Adapter Wireless G/B RP-SMA Antenna Jack"

Is there any real difference? Only difference I can see is like $0.02 and the name.

Any info would be great.
    Hurraay! I just got my Alfa today, setting it up now! *TssssT* Captain we now have P-Injection at FULL POWER! *TssssssT* ROger that!

Maybe he's saying the same thing but with a different wording? They should both be the same hardware: RP-SMA = connection type and the ONLY connection that this particular Alfa AWUS036H comes with. Mine came with a 2dbi antenna, but I have an 8dbi from another card I'm going to affix to it. It's small, about H .5 x W 2 x L 3" so I could tote it around... I'm going to fire up the lappy and BT3 and see if injection works. It'd BETTER

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast