Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

GODDAMN!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!! I just bought the card, and basically I only now realised my laptop has no PCMCIA slot... oh my god... anyone know of a USB to PCMCIA? Is it worth buyin it? I mean i did get a nice card (Netgear wg511t)... I mean argh... i really wanna be able to use this properly on my laptop... any ideas?

Thanks.
    CPU: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)- 2Ghz
    Chipset: Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM
    RAM: 2048 Mb (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX (512 Mb)
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
    Network Card: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by sardinemaster View Post
    GODDAMN!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!! I just bought the card, and basically I only now realised my laptop has no PCMCIA slot... oh my god... anyone know of a USB to PCMCIA? Is it worth buyin it? I mean i did get a nice card (Netgear wg511t)... I mean argh... i really wanna be able to use this properly on my laptop... any ideas?

Thanks.
    There's this really cool website, maybe you've heard of it? www.google.com where you can type in things you want to search for and it returns series of answers.

You might want to give it a try.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

There's also this other really cool way of thinking:
    "Not everyone is a noob". Please, I've already searched for a while, and now I came here to ask for some help if anyone heard of any good ones or is using one right now, ok? So please, if you can't help, u might consider not even wasting ur time answering because it only wastes your time as well as mine (reading and answering).

Now for people who will help, here are all the ports I have on my laptop (Dell XPS M1710):
    "the XPS M1710 features headphone and microphone jacks, VGA and DVI outputs, S-Video-out, four-pin FireWire and a whopping six USB 2.0 ports. Networking connections include a 56Kbps modem, 10/100/100 Gigabit Ethernet, optional Bluetooth and integrated 802.11a/b/g wireless. Also onboard are an ExpressCard slot and a 5-in-1 media card reader -- PC Card users, take note that the XPS M1710 does not support PCMCIA cards." (taken from h**p://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49283144,00.htm)

So if anyone has any ideas of how getting the current card I have or any other card(which is supports injecting and all the rest of it) working on my laptop, it would be great.

Thanks.
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sardinemaster View Post
    There's also this other really cool way of thinking:
    "Not everyone is a noob". Please, I've already searched for a while, and now I came here to ask for some help if anyone heard of any good ones or is using one right now, ok?
    Noob in the above sense of the word would indicate someone who can not search or who does not know how to search.
    so in order to help you here is a list of cards that you might want to investigate:
    http://backtrack.offensive-security....p/HCL:Wireless

Also worth noting you have posted in a thread that is all about " which wireless card to use" hence the title.
    And I would suggest that you re-read it and the wiki link above. If this does not help you then please by all means ask a question.

ps I would suggest that since you have no use for the card you just bought to take it back for a refund or resell it on ebay or something.

Here is a link that Re@lity is mentioning in the next post
    http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...c+card+adapter
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

You can now get an expresscard to pccard adapter which apparently works with all/most wifi pccards, iirc!
    There's a thread around here somewhere with a link to the manufacturers website.

Thanks a lot for all these constructive answers. I have read and understood what you have said, and without these links I could really have not been able to do this... but now I am in doubt... these are the actual details on my laptop:
    ExpressCard connector One ExpressCard slot (54 mm) 1.5 V and 3.3 V Cards supported ExpressCard/34 (34 mm) and ExpressCard/54 (54 mm)ExpressCard connector size 26 pins

I have not found in the site u have given me with cards (the one "Reality" talks about), something that would help me... is it me, or am I right? Furthermore, according to the wiki, I do not see any drivers for ExpressCard, am I right?

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, I do have a headache, but I think I am seeing things right... and yes, if that card is of no more use to it, I will happily dispose of it. Also, this site has all info about my computer, if in doubt please check:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1083581

I’m in the market for a new atheros chip based PCI wireless card since purchasing a 15dbi omni antenna connected to my WPN311 via 3m CLF400 RPSMA Male to N Male Pigtail. Connecting 1.5Miles away into a Belkin 7300 Wireless G 4 port modem Router with a 12Dbi omni with CLF200 cable.

There is some range issues we are experiencing, even tho they are almost line of sight and level with each other My guess is the NetgearWPN311 is to weak.

I would like to hear some views of our members which card would have more range and power so I can get near perfect connection.

There are a few available like the Netgear WPN511T, wpn311 and the Dlink DWL G550
    Trendnet
    TEW-443PI A1 1R

Any suggestion would be appreciated
    It's best to try, and google, then try, and google! and google more!

Quote Originally Posted by B@dW1-FI View Post
    I’m in the market for a new atheros chip based PCI wireless card since purchasing a 15dbi omni antenna connected to my WPN311 via 3m CLF400 RPSMA Male to N Male Pigtail. Connecting 1.5Miles away into a Belkin 7300 Wireless G 4 port modem Router with a 12Dbi omni with CLF200 cable.
    Why are you using omni directional antennas for such a long link? You'll always have a high noise floor even if you have high powered cards. A pair of high gain *directional* antennas will make that signal much stronger and reduce the noise even further. Two dishes would be superb, but compact yagis would work fine. You'll have more with less. Less is more, more or less.

Just burned his ISO

I wonder AR5007 support packet injection and other features as well.

Thanks.
    Backtrack enriched my life by by equipped myself with fantastic hacking skills i have ever know before.

AR5007 hasn't been fully tested, AR5000, 01, 02, 05, 06, Tested OK.

Code:
     INF file for installing Atheros AR5001, AR5002, AR5004, AR5005 
    ;    and AR5006 Wireless Network Adapter
    you should probably edit your signature (the H^x0r part) it's not good for our forum community
    It's best to try, and google, then try, and google! and google more!

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast