Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

Hybrid View

Default The "Which card shall I buy" million dollar question....

This question always seems to be asked, over & over.
    I posted a brief guide in the old forum, so maybe it'll be of some help here too.

So here's some basic advice, for what it's worth.....

There’s no quick and easy answer to “what’s the best card to buy”. It depends a lot on what you want to do with it!

This also all depends on if you want only “b” or if you want “b” & “g”, or even “a”, “b” & “g” ?

For “b” only:

For “b” only, the prism 2.5 chipset cards are best to go for. Something like the Senao 2511CD Plus Ext2 is a very nice card, very high power at 200mW, and with excellent receive sensitivity too. It is external antenna only though. It comes with 2x MMCX type connectors.
    There is also a model available with built-in antenna instead, just without the “ext2” in the model number. Although I would go for the external antenna model personally.

The thing to watch with this card though is that there’s a newer model which has “M” at the end of the model number. Thois stands for “Mercury” and is a Prism3 chipset. These aren’t very good cards, they have crap receive sensitivity. Stay away from that one!

For “b” & “g”:

If you want “g” as well as “b” then go for something with an Atheros chipset.

A good all-round card for “b” & “g” with Atheros chipset is the Proxim 8470-WD. This has a built antenna, but also has an MC type connection for an optional external antenna to be added. This is an excellent card for using with Aircrack, etc.
    A cheap and easy to find Atheros “b” “g” card would be something like the Netgear WG511T. This has no external antenna option though.

For “a”, “b” & “g”:

In my opinion, the best “a”, “b” & “g” card, with Atheros chipset is the Cisco AIR- CB21AG-E-K9, but unfortunately this card isn’t available with any external antenna option.
    Probably the easiest to find “a”, “b” & “g” Atheros card is the Netgear WAG511. This is a good card for using with Aircrack, etc but again, no external antenna connector.
    I found an NEC WarpStar once, which has an external connector, but I never did find out the type of connector it has. Also, I’m not entirely sure the external antenna option works for “a” as well. It may only be for the “b” & “g” modes.

Aircrack:

Again, the Atheros chipset cards are probably the safest purchase, for using with the Aircrack suite.
    Having said that, the best chipset for Aircrack, in my opinion, has always been the PrismGT chipset.
    The problem here, though, is that they are quite hard to find and don’t usually come with external antenna connectors.

One of the most available PrismGT cards to look for is the Netgear WG511, but you must get a V1 card, with silver antenna casing. Any V1’s with different colour casings have what’s called a “soft-mac” chipset and are no good! Also, all other versions (V2, V3, etc) of this card have different chipsets and are no good!

Senao also make a high power (200mW) PrismGT card, the 3054CB Plus. But again, they’re quite hard to find now.

I have only ever come across 1 PrismGT card with an external antenna connector, the Waveport WL54G. Again, there’s different versions of this card that don’t have the PrismGT chipset, so it can be hard to find the *right* one”.
    A good friend of mine, from the US managed to get me one of those direct from the factory eventually, but even then he was sent the wrong one twice!
    I don’t think they’re available brand new any more though.

And if money is no object??:

If you don’t mind spending the cash, then probably the best Atheros card to buy would be the extremely high powered 300mW Ubiquiti card.

---------------------------------------

So, realistically, the best bet, if you really don’t know what card to buy and just want to simply go and buy one without all the hassles, is probably to just go for the Proxim 8470-WD card. This is a very good all rounder, mid-priced Atheros chipset card, so you can’t go far wrong, and can always add an external antenna if you want to, via the MC type connector.

Hope this is of some help!?!

bugmenot11235

Got my 8470-WD last week, works great. The internal antenna is a little weak, but like Re@lity says, it has an MC connection for an external antenna.

Just burned his ISO

Nice tips on how to choose a nice card!

But what would you do if you were stuff to either USB or Expresscard?

No PCMCIA avilable...

Well, can't complain that much since my Dell was a gift I received from my wife...

I have the 300mW Ubiquiti, and I have to say it is the shiznit! HIGHLY recommend it.... hell, if you get the wrong card or a card that doesn't function the way you want it to, you may end up spending just as much as the Ubiquiti after buying a 2nd card to replace the first!

aircrack-ng's version of which card to buy

can't go wrong if you get the exact model they have there ^.^
    i'd say Proxim Orinoco 8470-WD though.

Just burned his ISO

I have here major doubt what to buy :

- Linksys WUSB54G, USB (Ralink 2570) == 45 EUR
    - D-Link DWL-G122, USB (Ralink 2570) == 29 EUR
    - Netgear WG511T, PCMCIA (Atheros) == 40 EUR

Any user recommendations - do they work with Final version, do they inject?

We use Omni because the 15dbi has a 360' radius of 5miles plus CLF400 cable is extreme low loss. I tried the 24dbi directional and Yagi, and there heavy and only have 30 or 40 degree radius. if we just had point to point it wouldn't suit our business needs. I'd hate to stand around for hours pointing it down the street in awkward positions to gain more power for airodump-ng for the so called "ethical" hacking

Well I'm going with the D-link DWL G550 I've seen it in action with myu setup yesterday, very powerful!! 3X the WPN311
    It's best to try, and google, then try, and google! and google more!

I seem to have come across a nice topic on Xpress cards, on which one of the members has a Dell XPS M1710 (which is my computer), and gives a valid point, what do you guys think?

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...8920#post68920

Peace.
    CPU: Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)- 2Ghz
    Chipset: Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM
    RAM: 2048 Mb (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7950 GTX (512 Mb)
    Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]
    Network Card: Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
    Wireless Card: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Modem: Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

Just burned his ISO

Default Best for Going through WALLS

I currently am trying to access a neighbor's wifi. I can recieve a decent signal in my bedroom but none at all in my living room where I really need the signal. My wlan card has an external antenna connection via mc. Basically I was hoping to find on what your opinion is on how to obtain a good signal in my living room. My apartment setup is requiring me to use the signal after going through a few walls and I would like to know what type of antenna or other setup would yield the best signal result for range through the building as opposed to long distance range or line of sight. Also, my wlan card has about 30mW of power and was also considering purchasing a senao card with 200mw. Would a card with this kind of power along with a nice antenna provide a good system for getting that signal through the walls and one story of building. Thanks guys any info would be great.

Just burned his ISO

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity
    I found an NEC WarpStar once, which has an external connector, but I never did find out the type of connector it has. Also, I’m not entirely sure the external antenna option works for “a” as well. It may only be for the “b” & “g” modes.
    ?!
    the conector type is MS-147,and u can find ms-147 to SMA adaptater still another SMA-TO-RP-SMA adaptator,u can attatch to the general RP-SMA antenna

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast