Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Compiz and Emerald in Backtrack.

Hybrid View

Default Installing Compiz and Emerald in Backtrack.

Installing Compiz Fusion in Backtrack.
    Now this is a wierd thing to do and useless too but I tought that some who use BT as a main OS would get borred and want to add a little graphic.

First of all let's grab all that we need:

Code:
    root@bt:~#apt-get install compiz compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported emerald simple-ccsm fusion-icon
    Now go to backtrack menu -> system -> compiz fusion
    You should see the icon in the toolbar, right click on it and select "Reload Window Manager".

Adding compiz to startup:

Go to /etc/ and edit the file called "rc.local". And just add the files you installed to it, like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

compiz
    compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
    compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
    emerald
    simple-ccsm
    fusion-icon

exit 0

Now open a terminal and type in

Code:
    chmod u+x /etc/rc.local
    and you're done, reboot and enjoy.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Default Re: Installing Compiz and Emerald in Backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Installing Compiz Fusion in Backtrack.
    Now this is a wierd thing to do and useless too but I tought that some who use BT as a main OS would get borred and want to add a little graphic.
    Sickness, thatīs sick! No, not at all. To be honest, Iīve been seriously considering to switch to BackTrack as my main OS. Currently by BT is running as second (pentesting)-boot option within GRUB. Flicking through the board hasnīt revealed to me much about how BackTrack compares to a "regular" Linux system (except for the stuff on DistroWatch). Even then I wonder why BackTrack hasnīt been counted to the "Major Distributions" (yet). so if there are any users here that have been using a major UNIX-Distro for years and finally completely switched over, donīt be shy to share your experiences! As for now, Iīm somewhat hanging in an open loop.

-SecUpwN-

Well ) I have Backtrack as my Main OS from the first day it came out (BT4). And it's awsome so have something like compiz and other stuff when you don't have anything to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    I have Backtrack as my Main OS from the first day it came out (BT4). And it's awsome so have something like compiz and other stuff when you don't have anything to do.
    In other words, Compiz Fusion with all itīs glossy stuff and geeky screen moving and window flicking is a MUST for everyone using LINUX (and Iīm talking from the middle of my heart here).

Back 2 topic: As i have BackTrack running as a second boot option I pretty much know where the differences in handling are. Even though Iīve been working for a long time with pretty much everything big thatīs out there Iīm wondering if there are there are actually "limitations" in comparison the "major" Distros and if so, what they might be.

To make it short: Iīm looking for some good reasoning to clear my mind about switching. Your response might be "YOU are the only one who knows the differences for your purpose between the systems", but somehow I canīt quite figure it out. If I did, I wouldnīt have asked in the first place...

-SecUpwN-
    Last edited by SecUpwN; 06-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Backtrack is a pentest distribution, it's never going to be more than that (i think) so if you want to chat with friends, listen to music, watch movies, edit pictures/videos and other you woun't need bt. So unless you do pentesting a lot ... stick to some other Linux as main OS

Just burned his ISO

For begginers, I think there is an advantage to having BT as your only OS on a box.
    It forces you to do everything in BT, following some How to, videos or researching BT related endeavors, helping you to become comfortable with the distro and it's tools.

If you are an experienced pentester, than it might not be as relevant to have it installed as a main OS.

Also, I like threads about "Pimp my Box", software of course.
    It can help make your BT use an enjoyable process by personalizing the system.

Does Compiz have the transparent system monitor widget that I see on many desktop screenshots?

Developer

Im pretty sure he is referring to conky or gkrellm, both of which are system monitors and can be made transparent. Neither of these have any thing to do with compiz and they are both available in the repos.

Developer

That PC in the picture runs Gentoo 64 bit Linux and is my home desktop and is still running today.

My other main PC is my laptop which is my daily user. It is a Dell studio XPS 15 inch laptop with 2.6 quadcore processor, 8 gigs of ram, a 160 gig ssd, dual Nvidia 260m cards and runs WIndows 7 , lots of VM's incuding Backtrack and dual boots Ubuntu 10.04 with awesome window manger.

I have various other servers and laptops laying around but I do not use Backtrack as my main OS.

I also have my favorite machine: Password Crackers ŧ The Tools Server gets a Fat Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    That PC in the picture runs Gentoo 64 bit Linux and is my home desktop and is still running today.

My other main PC is my laptop which is my daily user. It is a Dell studio XPS 15 inch laptop with 2.6 quadcore processor, 8 gigs of ram, a 160 gig ssd, dual Nvidia 260m cards and runs WIndows 7 , lots of VM's incuding Backtrack and dual boots Ubuntu 10.04 with awesome window manger.

I have various other servers and laptops laying around but I do not use Backtrack as my main OS.

I also have my favorite machine: Password Crackers ŧ The Tools Server gets a Fat Upgrade
    lol I never would have guessed you smoke newports
    HP DV7
    8GB DDR3
    Core i7-720QM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 320M

BT5-64bit x WIN7-64bit DualBoot

I have to manually turn on compiz every time... how do I set it to load on startup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast