Thread: how to connect internet using mobile (local mobile service provider)

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb how to connect internet using mobile (local mobile service provider)

i have internet in my mobile ....so i am connecting internet using data cable on windows Xp and windows 7..i am new to linux Os ....so please help me to Connect internet On BackTrack 4 Final using mobile as modem..

Default Re: how to connect internet using mobile (local mobile service provider)

We are not big on spoonfeeding here. Suggest you Google for general Linux instructions on how to do what you are asking, then come back here and ask questions if you cant get the methods you find to work. Make sure you list what you tried and any error mesages you got, and also be specific about what type of device you are using.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: how to connect internet using mobile (local mobile service provider)

If you have a bluetooth dongle (they are very cheap on eBay), you can follow this thread.

Just burned his ISO

Really depends on the type of mobile you are using. If you have wifi capability on your mobile, the first step would be to setup a an ad-hoc network on your linux machine. In Terminal, you can setup an ad-hoc wireless network as follows:

ifconfig eth0 down
    iwconfig eth0 mod ad-hoc channel 6 essid '<name_of_network>'
    ifconfig eth0 inet 169.254.x.x netmask 255.255.0.0 up

NB: i've used eth0 as the name of my wlan card on my BT machine, your WLAN device name may vary.
    Thats a basic script to setup an unsecured ad-hoc wifi network. Once setup, connect your mobile to the network and configure your linux machine's browser (or whatever application you want to give internet access to) to proxy through the phone's ip address. This is a vague guide but its hard to give specific instruction when you haven't stated make/model/OS of the phone you are using.

Just burned his ISO

Red face AW: how to connect internet using mobile (local mobile service provider)

Hello boys and girls,

here: Linux Debian / Pardus: UMTS / 3G connection via Bluetooth / USB « Linux
    I found an interesting tutroial.

It works! Both USB and Bluetooth connections.

U have to adapt the wvdial.conf with your mobile carriers access point name, MAC etc..

Good luck! htzn

In Ubuntu it is realy easy to connect to any internet type and B-track 4 is now based on Debian/Ubuntu so if you can isolate the networking tool/applets name ( mine is NetworkManager Applet 0.8.1 ) you could copy the .deb from the cache ( /var/cache/apt/archives/ ) and try it in B-track 4, worth a go?