Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to offsec and don't understand fast-track

Developer

Default Re: new to offsec and don't understand fast-track

I feel I need to jump in.

The plain simple fact is that the people on this forum contribute for fun and for free and do not get anything at all out of it. Therefore it is up to their discretion whether they choose to answer a question or not. As long as no one is being abusive in their responses it is perfectly within the members discretion whether they choose to help some one or not. You have to understand how disheartening it is to help some one who cant run a simple search on the forum. If a new member cant even figure out what wifi card is compatible then imagine how many questions he will have once he gets on the actual internet. Also part of learning is the art of asking a proper question with as much info as possible which show you tried with the information available and did not get the results you expected.

Example: I was following X tutorial with Y tool and I was trying to do the XYZ Attack and I expected Q to happen however I received the error W and I dont understand it. I did some googling and found out this behavior has to do with Y but I am unable to get the tool to function properly. Here is a pastebin of the Y output

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purehate View Post
    Example: I was following X tutorial with Y tool and I was trying to do the XYZ Attack and I expected Q to happen however I received the error W and I dont understand it. I did some googling and found out this behavior has to do with Y but I am unable to get the tool to function properly. Here is a pastebin of the Y output
    Therein lies the fun, if this is something that is not fun for others then I would say that Penetration Testing and or anything computer security related is not what that person should be involved with. Critical thinking is just one of those industry terms that comes to mind.

As for answers or documentation, the OP is correct that not all tactics, techniques or procedures have documentation that is relevant to the newcomer, and well it's probably better that way. Some tools do not even need documentation. I mean some tools are so simple in what they do it would not really be worth the effort to document it.
    A simple execution of a command would generally be enough to figure things out. Then again other tools do need better documentation and do not have it.
    Most tool creators would probably not mind if someone would actually take the time to do some testing and document the results.

I agree with what you guys are saying here.... at least one of my most recent posts in this thread was deleted... anyway... not everyone is quite how I thought they were... lupin was able to explain it best to me... so... I understand... its really just a choice that each... "helper" has to make themselves I guess as to if people are doing legal things or not... and deciding based on their own morals at that point...

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

It appears you still do not understand. Maybe it's just me, but I think your post is hard to read. It could just be the constant "..." punctuation that is not allowing me to understand you correctly.

It is not our morals that decide whether or not someone's actions are legal. It is our morals that decide whether or not we contribute to the questionably legal or illegal actions of others.
    Last edited by hhmatt; 06-24-2010 at 12:28 AM.

it probably is hard to read, its a bad habit, hard to get over too.

and yes, that is what I was saying, just in different words. I had been up for over 24hrs. sorry I was not posting perfectly.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krytical View Post
    it probably is hard to read, its a bad habit, hard to get over too.

and yes, that is what I was saying, just in different words. I had been up for over 24hrs. sorry I was not posting perfectly.
    Good, well at least you understand what we are saying. Whether or not you do the same thing is up to you.

I believe the main reason you dug up this thread was because you had a question about fasttrack and we're not finding the answer, if you have already found your answer then good. If not I would hope that you start a new thread detailing the problems you are facing so that we may be able to help you.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

How can I pwn the whole interwebs, I downloaded bt4 and bought an alfa, but when I press that big red button, it says it needs an ip a address, so I looked at my ip address and put it in the box thing, but its saying all ports are closed, do I need to open ports before I can unleash it on the interwebs L337 L337 L337.

Backtrack is a distribution for professional infoseccys etc, and that`s exactly what the majority of the seniors/mods here are.
    This forum is not for people learning to hack, now I myself have no problem with people to which infosec is just an hobby (in fact I am one of them), however, if you cannot construct an intelligent, well thought out and informative question, how can you possibly expect the likes of some the foremost security experts in the world, (yes they inhabit these forums), to take you seriously?

To be quiet harsh and upfront Krytical, you are saying people that find this thread will just see more slander from the smart people, well quiet frankly people that do find this thread by either googling "don't understand fast-track", or "The mass client side attack settup instructions are a bit confusing to me can someone help me understand what goes where on the gui" are not wanted, nor realistically supposed to even be here and certainly will not be missed. Now I am not a mod here nor do I care to do their jobs for them, I just wanted to add my perspective to the thread to maybe help you understand why some people here might get p*s*e* off.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12