Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Configure Network Cards

Try

ifconfig eth1 up

then post the results of

iwconfig

Ok, this method works fine up to a point. Could someone let me know please what I need to do/change to make these settings to the network config permanant?

B|T is installed to the HDD, but each time I reboot I have to repeat this process.

I've had a quick look through the forum but nothing obvious leaps out at me.

Thanks.

Any thoughts anybody?

Im having trouble trying to connect to WPA networks, i use the wpa_supplicant command with the script provided in the first post but i get a madwifi driver not supported error

any ideas?

Cheers

Look in the tutorials and guides section.
    Xploitz has written many tutorials covering all types of WPA networks.

Smile

figured out my problem

my passphrase contained a $ so when using wpa_passphrase put ' ' around the password, prob obvious to most people but im sharing my experiences.

put the psk it generates into your conf file.
    i have an atheros AR5005G wireless card and had to use

wpa_supplicant -D wext - i ath0 -c path_to_my_conf_file

bingo

-D madwifi gave me an "unsupported driver error"

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by darkevil011 View Post
    i have an atheros AR5005G wireless card and had to use

wpa_supplicant -D wext - i ath0 -c path_to_my_conf_file

bingo

-D madwifi gave me an "unsupported driver error"

Cheers
    Did you get that -D madwifi from my tutorial?? I could have sworn that I put -Dwext because the wext is the default driver BT2 uses..that way EVERYONE, no matter what card they have and/or use..my commands and WPA / WPA2 supplicant tutorials should work for all. Hmmm.....Now I feel the urge to go search my tutorials and edit them again. Work, work, work, work, when will it all end??
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

xatar wrote the bit i used did he get them for you

Quote Originally Posted by xatar View Post
    Wireless cards.

Wireless cards are very different based upon what chipset you have. I personally use Atheros chipset cards which has screwed me up a bit with BackTrack as it has problems with using them for certain attacks.

What I will again show is generic commands for setting up and configuring your wireless interfaces.

The interface name (ath0 below) is entirely dependant on what chipset you are using, you may have any of the following:

ath0
    wlan0
    wifi0
    eth0

You need to find out what you have. To do this you should execute the following bash command:

iwconfig -a

This will show all wireless extension on your machine. You should see all of your network interfaces, but only the wireless ones will have detailed information next to it. Now you know what your wireless cards name is...

Switch on your wireless card:

ifconfig ath0 up

To connect to an 'open' wireless access point (AP):

iwconfig ath0 essid 'nameofnetwork'

The 'nameofnetwork' is your Service Set IDentifer (SSID). That is the name of your network.

To configure a WEP key:

iwconfig ath0 key 3B5D3C7D207E37DCEEEDD301E3

To connect to a specific AP:

iwconfig ath0 ap 03:27:A8:BC:0F:F1

Where '03:27:A8:BC:0F:F1' is the MAC address of your AP, also known as the Basic Service Set IDentifier (BSSID).

Once you have setup your connection, you can get a DHCP address:

dhcpcd ath0

Then check that you have an IP from the wireless network.

But what if the network uses WPA? Again you need to assign the essid and maybe an AP MAC, then:

Create a text based file called wpa_supplicant.conf

Enter the following:

network={
    essid="nameofnetwork"
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    psk="WPApassphrase"
    }

Where nameofnetwork is your essid and psk is your WPA pre-shared key!

Then run the wpa_supplicant tool.

wpa_supplicant -D madwifi -i ath0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf

This will need altering depending on what chipset and drivers you are using. The above should work for an Atheros card.

Saying all of the above about WPA configurations, I have had many problems with it on BackTrack. If someone else has other suggestions, please post here. Also, please post setup commands for other types of wireless cards.

To put your wireless card into monitor mode:

iwconfig ath0 mode monitor

To restrict it to one specific channel:

iwconfig ath0 channel XX

Make sure you use a two figure number, channel 1 tends to put you on channel 11 for some reason!

Again, they are for Atheros cards, other cards have other commands.

I hope this has helped people in understanding a little more about the configuration settings for their wireless cards. Don't forget the wlassisstant tool on BackTrack too.

If you notice any errors in the above commands, please post.
    If you want to post other commands, please do!

later,

Quote Originally Posted by darkevil011 View Post
    xatar wrote the bit i used did he get them for you

Oohhh..no...he wrote that before me. Not sure why he wrote -D madwifi though..

Mine WPA/WPA2 connection tutorials work though
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

xploitz you may correct the error in this tutorial from xatar....

he wrote iwconfig -a for ifconfig -a
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast