Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Dual boot XP & BT (With LILO)

Just burned his ISO

hi,

i have a little or big problem, i use win xp and backtrack on one hdd.

but win xp is safed with "safe guard easy"

so lilo doen's boot or find windows cause of "safe guard easy"

does anyone knows if its possible to boot win xp with "safe guard easy" and lilo?

thx

linuxbeast

I have to use the crummy gui installer because I need to do a live cd (compression) for a usb disk. What should be in the "Source (BackTrack CD)" field? I've tried many things and nothing is working. I don't understand this gui. Commands make perfect since to me.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by linuxbeast View Post
    I have to use the crummy gui installer because I need to do a live cd (compression) for a usb disk. What should be in the "Source (BackTrack CD)" field? I've tried many things and nothing is working. I don't understand this gui. Commands make perfect since to me.
    I believe the source is left blank

Very good friend of the forum drgr33n's Avatar

Google Splash screens for LILO, theres some really good ones. I have a game on mine lol nice tut

Just burned his ISO

Arrow

I have done as the tutorial. First I installed BT2. Working fine. I had partitioned 10 GB (ntfs) for my XP. Then I booted with XP. But in XP it don't show those partitions. It mearly shows the entire hardisk space and as unknown.What to do??

Next I installed XP first (in 10 GB space) and the in remaining space partitioned with ext3, swap etc (everything went fine)...
    Then modified lilo to dual boot Bt and XP.
    It shows the boot menu and BT is fine! but when i choose XP it shows the screen- "Windows XP" and suddently a blue screen appears saying windows had shutdown preventing the computer from damage...
    Oh! What a kind of problem is this..

But actually I don't intend to install XP if BT2 works fine. I have some problem in configuring network. i.e, all IP, gateway dns server etc were given rightly. But it doesn't connect. Mine is pppoe (broadband) connection which requires username and password to connect. But no options anywhere to enter those. I think thats the main reason for not connecting. My router address is 192.168.1.1 (I need to authenticate the connection)
    Please help me with this. If I get my internet connection then I don't bother installing XP. I like BT the most. I have no much problem in runnning BT as a live cd too.. But only one drive,causes some limitations.

Thankyou.

Just burned his ISO

Cool just to make it look better

i have a question when my lilo menu comes up it gives me 3 options

Widows
    Back|track
    WindowsXp

is there a way to take the first windows off?

Not super important just want to make it look tidy

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

nano /etc/lilo.conf (make your changes)

lilo -v
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Just burned his ISO

Default ????

For some reason if have read-write in my lilo config file I get a message at boot up saying that I should change it back. Also in all other Linux installs I would use read-only, more specifically Slackware which Bt2 is based off of.

I though that was kinda weird does anyone have an explanation?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by neginfinite View Post
    For some reason if have read-write in my lilo config file I get a message at boot up saying that I should change it back. Also in all other Linux installs I would use read-only, more specifically Slackware which Bt2 is based off of.

I though that was kinda weird does anyone have an explanation?
    Yes I have a explination. It is totally unnecessary to use read write. I have done lots of bt installs on all different types of machines and have never had to do this. If fact let this be a perfect example of why you should follow mut's instructions on the wiki. change it back and all will be peachy.

Just burned his ISO

It seems I have run into a bit of a problem.

My computer uses a FAT32 "recovery" partition (hda1) and then the NTFS XP partition (hda2). I made room after the NTFS partition and installed BT2 there (hda3, formatted as EXT2).

I then followed the instructions exactly, but when I boot and when I select the Windows option, it goes into the Windows XP Recovery console that came with my computer.

Any ideas?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast