Thread: Dual boot backtrack2 and Windows (Tutorial for noobs like me)

Just burned his ISO

Talking Dual boot backtrack2 and Windows (Tutorial for noobs like me)

If you are just starting off to linux and backtrack and want to install backtrack to your harddrive, but also want to boot up Windows, this is the tutorial for you.(Very lengthy because I explain every detail)

I used backtrack2 final. And I also have Windows Vista, but this method should also work for XP.

(If you have Windows XP, skip this part)
    The first step is to do something called partioning your harddrive. To do this you first need to shrink Windows down to make room for backtrack. If you do have Windows Vista, log in and open up the control panel, click on Administrative tools, then click computer management, it is going to ask for permission, click continue, then click storage, then click Disk Management. Near the bottom of the window you will see your harddrive as well as your other drives such as your CD-Rom drive and so on. To the right of your harddrive you should see the partitions that are already set up on your computer. Depending on your computer this could be only one. In my case it was two because my computer itself had its own partition. The Windows partition will be what Windows calls your C: drive. Right click on the C drive and go down to Shrink Volume. Then you will tell it how much you want to shrink it. It will only let you shrink it a certin amount depending on how much space you have already used. I shrunk mine about 50 GB, leaving me with 70 GB for Windows. (Note: the amount to shrink is in MB not GB, so take that into account when you are deciding how much to shrink.) Back|Track only takes up 3 GB max, but if you want to store files on that drive leave space. Now you need to finish partioning, to do that we need to use the backtrack iso CD.

(XP users and Vista users, read this)
    Put in your backtrack iso CD and restart your computer. You will have to tell your computer to start up with the CD-Rom first. On my computer it says press F2 for setup but every computer will be different. You should see a boot option, just set that to CD insted of Harddrive. Save and Exit. Your computer should then reboot and start loading backtrack2. Once it loads up, follow the intructions on the screen and enter the username "root" and password "toor" without the qutation marks. Then you are going to type in startx and hit enter. It is going to go kind of slow because it is running from a CD, it will be much faster on your harddrive.

Once you are logged in and the Desktop is running, you should see a white box on the task bar to type into. Type "qtparted" without the quotes. This will bring up the qtparted program wich can be used to finish partioning your harddrive. On the left hand side of this program you will see your drives. One will be your CD-Rom and the other will be your harddrive. My CD-Rom is called /dev/hda, and my harddrive is /dev/sda, this may be different depending on your computer. Most tutorials on this website are using computers with /dev/hda as their harddrive. (Note whether your hard drive is /dev/sda or /dev/hda and refer to that when I say dev/sda)
    Click on /dev/sda or /dev/hda to see your computer's partitions. It will load. And you should see the partitions listed in the middle of your screen. They will be listed as /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 and so on and so forth. Remember, depending on your computer you could have more or less and they could be written as /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 and so on and so forth. Vista users hold on just as second as I help the XP users shrink Windows.

(Vista users skip this part)
    Locate your windows partition, it should have the windows icon next to the number and will be partition /dev/sda1 or 2 or /dev/hda1 or 2. Now that you see which one it is, open up the Konsol shell (located on the task bar, its the black monitor). When Konsol opens up, type "umount /dev/sda1" do not type qutations and also replace "/dev/sda1" with wherever your C drive partition is. It could also be "umount /dev/hda1" or "umount /dev/sda2"
    Now that youve done this, close konsol. If you kept qtparted open, just right click on your C drive partition and click resize. Move the green bar at the top to indicate what size you want your Windows XP to be. Note: you only need 3 GB free to install backtrack, but if you want to save files to that hard drive, I suggest freeing at least 10GB. Once that is done. Go to file and click commit. You have now rezized your Windows partition and there should be a new partition that has not been formatted.

(Vista and XP users read this)
    Alright, now we will format our partitions. Everyone should see a /dev/hda-1 or /dev/sda-1 partition, its size should be equivilent to the amount you shrunk Windows by. Right click on this and click on create. The correct settings should come up already for you. Create as: Primary Partition, Partition Type: ext2 (you can also do ext3). Label: backtrack. Size: leave as is. Click ok and let it do its thing. Once it's done go to File menu and click commit. A new device alert should come up, just say open in new window, close it after it opens. Now you should have a new partition and it should be /dev/sda2 or 3..., or /dev/hda2 or 3..., like I said before this depends on your computer, but it will be the same size as the amount you removed from windows.

Now we are ready to install backtrack to our new partitioned harddirve. Look on the task bar and click on the gear with a K on it (this is equivilent to the start menu in Windows) go up to system and then click on BackTrack Installer. Leave the "source" blank as it is downloading from a CD. The next option is where we are going to install it, MAKE SURE TO PUT IT AS THE PARTITION WE JUST MADE, DONT INSTALL OVER WINDOWS. The third option is the MBR just let it install to its default location, it should be /dev/sda or /dev/hda. This should not have the numbers at the end because it tells the computer which operating system to boot up so it needs to be in front. So no numbers. Install backtrack as real. It takes up more room, but you have the room to spare. Click on Install.

Once that is done, logout and poweroff. Remove the CD. Turn the computer back on and you should boot into backtrack. But we're not done yet......

We need to configure lilo (the linux boot manager) to have the option of being able to boot into Windows at startup. Open up a Konsole shell (its the black monitor on the taskbar) type in "liloconfig" without the quotes. It will launch the lilo intaller. It will first ask you which option you want, choose simple and press enter. The next will ask you if you want to configure to use framebuffer console, but for now just choose standard and press enter. Next you are going to choose to install to the MBR. Once that is done you should be kicked backed to konsole and your cursor will be at the bottom of Konsole(If you got an error message that's ok). Type in "nano /etc/lilo.conf" without the quotes.
    The lilo.conf file should be open. Use the arrows on your keyboard to scroll down to the bottom of the file. It should look like this (some changes may be necessary)All Comments to Right of "<-" are not included in the file.)

# Windows bootable partition config begins
    other = /dev/sda1 <-location of windows partition
    label = Windows
    table = /dev/sda <-could be "/dev/hda" depends
    # Windows bootable partition config ends
    # Linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/sda2 <-location of linux partition
    label = linux
    read-write <-change from read-only to read-write
    # Linux bootable partition config ends

That should be what it looks like (all comments to the right are not included in the file, for example: the first line under The windows bootable partition config begins, is "other = /dev/sda1" without the quotes. The "<- location of windows partion" part is just to tell you what each line is), again the partition locations could be /dev/hda and could have different numbers depending on what yours is. Make sure that the partition of Windows is correct. This is the "other = /dev/sda1" line the number is often not 1 so make sure you know were your windows partition is. Also it is very important that you change the read-only to "read-write"
    You should also check and make sure that linux's partition is correct. The labels don't really matter; you can call them whatever you want as long as you know which is Windows and which is Back|Track.
    Hit ctrl o, to save and then hit enter to save as lilo.conf. Then hit ctrl x to exit.
    Now this is very important as well. You have configured lilo; now you have to activate it. To do this open Konsole and type "lilo -v" without quotes. It will bring up some text and somewere in there it should say Windows was added.

Logoff and Reboot and you will have the option to boot to either linux or windows.

(I did not include how to put in the cool back|track backsplash image at startup, only because I haven't figured it out yet, and the one tuturial on here didn't work for me; But its just an image, it dosn't matter and it can always be done later.)

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial, I know it was a little lengthy, but so is the process of dual booting. I am very new to the community and I would appreciate all comments as well as advice for improving my skills. I'd also like to appologize to any seasoned veterans who had to read this, I know it was very trivial.

Its in the newbie area because it is for newbies and because I can't post in any other area yet. So mabey if you guys like this post you can move it to the tutorials and guides section for BackTrack2 Final.

Good one. I'm sure this will help some people. Thanks for sharing
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

i got just one prob.. when i boot restart and boot again in boots up in vista... btw im using a dv6000 laptop.. tnx in advance

Just burned his ISO

I go into Vista and shrunk down the windows partition, however, when I boot up into backtrack, it only allows me to look at the property of the partition, the create option is not even available for me....any suggestions? thanks.

wow this a complete guide.....this a good help..........

Just burned his ISO

Thumbs up Turbulence - My hero !

Hi Turbulence,

I just registered here with the purpose to let you know you are a genius, and should be rewarded the nobelprice for troubleshooting !

I've been messing with Vista's bootloader and lilo for days trying to get my Vista and my Backtrack to cooperate, and this seems to be the ONLY guide on the whole wide web which seems to know what its talking about !

One thing i do have a question about is the read-only / read-write part :
    Is there a way around the startup check, thereby avoiding pressing enter at bootup ?
    If you dont know what im talking about :
    I receive an error at bootup stating that the lilo.conf file is not properly configured, because the backtrack drive should remain read-only for checking purposes.

Anyway, I just registered and left a message to let you know your (hard) work has been appreciated by at least 1 person
    Thanx a million, and even more times respect !

P.S. watch out : genius is close to madness

Just burned his ISO

Thank you all for your comments on my guide, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I will send answers to all your questions by private message.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbulence View Post
    Thank you all for your comments on my guide, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I will send answers to all your questions by private message.
    Well thanks for sharing the tutorial I guess but no thanks for sending out PM's on the answers to the questions you have received.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Just burned his ISO

nice guide