Thread: How can i start airdump from SSH and keep it running after i disconnect from server?

Just burned his ISO

Default How can i start airdump from SSH and keep it running after i disconnect from server?

Hello,

I am pretty new to linux and backtrack four and I have setup a server that is using a wired internet connection. I have attached a wireless card to audit the local wireless traffic on my network. I usually just connect to my server through SSH. I would like remotely start an airdump process and then disconnect and have it keep running. Right now when i disconnect from SSH the process stops recording the data i would like.

Any tips for starting this process independantly of my secure shell would be appreciated.

Developer

Default Re: How can i start airdump from SSH and keep it running after i disconnect from serv

You need to use a command line program called screen, most linux distros have it.

GNU Screen: an introduction and beginner's tutorial || kuro5hin.org

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: How can i start airdump from SSH and keep it running after i disconnect from serv

Another maybe more complicated way is to just log another user into the system that has access rights to the process you are trying to run and then you can log your ssh'ed user out. ssh to the box then sudo -i -u <username> will log on another user and then you can execute whatever through said user.

I'm with purehate, use screen.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

thanks the screen program does exactly what i needed and i don't have to have multiple ssh connections running