Thread: Duel boot windows 7 / bt4

Just burned his ISO

Default Duel boot windows 7 / bt4

Hi and thanks in addvance. I just installed bt4 on a diffrent parttion in a laptop that already had win7 on it. And now when I restart the pc it doesn't evev give me the option to boot into win7. Can anyone please help me?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Default Re: Duel boot windows 7 / bt4

I can suggest you only post a question once and only once. These aren't the ubuntu forums, doing that sort of thing annoys the mods.

Did you bother to follow any instructions when doing this or did you just install it? Does the windows partition show up in BT? Have you googled anything to help you out? Bothered to search through the 40 odd threads before you that say exactly this?

There are a tonne of other questions. Help yourself a bit and we'll be more inclined to help you.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Make sure you installed BT4 on different partition from the one where Windows resides. If you didn't then say good bye to Windows.
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Just burned his ISO

sounds like you installed it to the same partition and wiped windows off of it, if you made a recovery disc, insert it and boot from it, answer the questions when it asks what you want to do, click the command prompt icon then type: bootrec.exe /fixmbr, this will recover windows boot loader.....if u still have windows

Just burned his ISO

im really sorry for not being clear,
    although im new to this Linux/backtrack. i did not come here to waste you time. i can insure you that i read about 20 turturial before installing it "on to a new partition".
    and after searching for about a hole night for a solution trough my CELL PHONE (well, because i couldn't get my laptop started in to windows) i still couldn't find a way, what i did understand is that i need a different bootloader. so if you can tell me what bootloader would be good i would really appreciate it. and again im sorry.

does any one know if i have supergrub as my bootloader and then install bt4, will it overwrite it with grub?
    Last edited by lupin; 05-24-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Merging...

does that mean you can't even boot to BackTrack?
    Boot any Live CD and check partitions if there is the one with Windows, fdisk -l .
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Just burned his ISO

yes, bootloaders conflict....especially when it comes to windows and linux, neither one want the other there.....but they still read the other OS that is operating on the system. sorry if i still sound confused, but it seems like it may be more of a problem of windows not being on your system anymore. your bootloader should see it there... if it is there, whether it be grub, super grub, or windows..your best bet may be to follow the previous post on letting windows find itself with the recovery disc...since thats what you're having trouble finding.