Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: winXP + backtrack howto?

Default winXP + backtrack howto?

I'd like to use backtrack and win xp on the same notebook. I installed backtrack and after that I couldn't boot into winXP. I fixed the mbr with fixmbr and fixboot commands but now I can not boot into backtrack. How can I fix lilo to select both OS? I don't know what kind of bootloader has backtrack, maybe lilo. I tried to install lilo but I get error message when it installing itself.
    How can I boot into backtrack anyway?

(Sorry for my bad english.)

Just burned his ISO

all you gota do is add 2 lines to your lilo config file in order to boot into windows xp, the backtrack installation doesn't do this for you like auditor did.

vi /etc/lilo.conf
    add these 2 lines:

other = /dev/hda1
    label = WindowsXp

also if you want windows xp to be the default then add this to the top
    default = WindowsXp

make sure you run "lilo" after adding those 2 lines.

edit: your hard drive may not be hda1. look in QtParted to see what partition you want to use. I have 3 partitions on my lappy - XP(ntfs 20gig), BT(ext3 5gig), and Storage(Fat32 55gig)

I like the storage partition on there so I can read write with both XP and Linux.

Thanks for the answers both of you!

One more thing...

How can I boot into backtrack from the cd?
    The only command I can use after I boot from cd is slax, but then it boots from live cd and not from the hd installed backtrack.
    I use 2 partitions, the 1st is ntfs xp and the 2nd is the backtrack. I think /dev/hda1

Just burned his ISO

backt,

i have got same pb as you.

XP was already installed on my hd and i installed BackTrack.

Consequence: i can only boot on BackTrack.

So i tried to add the 2 lines in lilo.config but it did not works as i was always booting on BackTrack and no more on XP.

I do the same as you, i fixed my XP boot with bootfix. After i could boot to XP normally but no more in BackTrack.

I can not come back into lilo.config on BackTrack on HD. Only on BT from CD live.

Anyone could help ?

I have tried everything and i get completly stuck now.

I solved the problem!!!

padou:

Boot from live cd.

(I chose install lilo to MBR!)

open a command shell. Type liloconfig
    In the menu choose #1 and follow the instructions.
    Then choose add a windows partition.
    type /dev/hda1
    give it a name like "windows xp" or something else
    (I have a 40 GB hdd with about 33GB ntfs partition, 4GB ext3 and 512 MB swap)
    Then choose add a linux partition type /dev/hda2 (this is where I installed BT)
    give it a name like "linux"
    oops, I forgot what is next but I think choose install lilo or write lilo.conf.
    I chose wait 5 seconds before automatically boot the default OS
    after that when you see again the command shell, type lilo
    It will tell you
    added windows
    added linux

And that's all!
    Reboot the system and there will be the lilo bootmanager with windows xp and linux.

I'm in win xp so I can't tell you the right steps of the lilo configuration menu but I think that is quite clear to understand what to do.

I will use BT in the afternoon so I will check a lilo configuration process and if I was wrong I will update my post.

Just burned his ISO

Backt,

Thanks. It works now!!

Cheers // Padou

Just burned his ISO

If you don't mind, I'd like to revive this thread rather than creating a whole new thread for my problem. In short, I'd like to Duo boot on my Laptop (Who doesn't?)

I'm trying to install Backtrack onto my laptop (Sony Vaio), but I'm relatively new at Linux and such (Used Knoppix awhile back, but that's about it). I'm having a little issue regarding installing BT onto my HDD.

I was wondering if I'd be able to use QTPart in BT to create a new partition and such. I was able to detect my HDD and all, found that I had 3 partitions on it. One is a 6GB recovery partition made by Sony (Rather than giving out disks, they created a recovery partition to recovery everything), my main C: drive, and a small hidden 7 mb partition (Which I believe is my Linux partition to start up AV Mode on my Vaio....maybe?).

My question is why can't I create a partition from my C: drive? It's listed as active and when I switch it to non-active, I can't do anything. The only thing that it seems that I can do is to resize the partition. I heard of people defragging first and then resizing and then installing BT on the newly resized partition. I'm just wary about whether I should use PMagic and see if I can create a partition or if I should just defrag and resize my C: ?

After that I believe it's a matter of creating a 3 or so GB partition for BT as ext3 and then a 1GB or so for the linux swap ext3. Is that correct? Once I created the partitions, I can run BT and use the installer GUI to install and configure the Lilo OS selector.

Sorry for the trouble, hopefully somebody can help me with this....I feel a bit inferior to everybody else on the forum. Thanks again.

And I have gone over the FAQ/Tutorial/other posts/sites. Perhaps I should go over them again.....hmm...

I have a 40 GB hdd, and I created a linux and a swap partition with Partition Magic 8. Then I used BT hd installer. Evrything works fine.

Just burned his ISO

Default Problem with DualBoot

Hi! I just tried your method, but it didn't work! Whatever I do it starts with BT. I never get a choise...

Regards

Tracker

Quote Originally Posted by backt
    I solved the problem!!!

padou:

Boot from live cd.

(I chose install lilo to MBR!)

open a command shell. Type liloconfig
    In the menu choose #1 and follow the instructions.
    Then choose add a windows partition.
    type /dev/hda1
    give it a name like "windows xp" or something else
    (I have a 40 GB hdd with about 33GB ntfs partition, 4GB ext3 and 512 MB swap)
    Then choose add a linux partition type /dev/hda2 (this is where I installed BT)
    give it a name like "linux"
    oops, I forgot what is next but I think choose install lilo or write lilo.conf.
    I chose wait 5 seconds before automatically boot the default OS
    after that when you see again the command shell, type lilo
    It will tell you
    added windows
    added linux

And that's all!
    Reboot the system and there will be the lilo bootmanager with windows xp and linux.

I'm in win xp so I can't tell you the right steps of the lilo configuration menu but I think that is quite clear to understand what to do.

I will use BT in the afternoon so I will check a lilo configuration process and if I was wrong I will update my post.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast