Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AWUS036H connected to ap but web surfing not working

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: AWUS036H connected to ap but web surfing not working

Is it possible that the AP you are trying to connect to is unable to transmit far enough? Maybe the AP range is the limiting factor and not your side.

I tried it from the command line, still having problems connecting, although I am able to connect a bit further away. Very strange. It must just be the drivers, the BT4 drivers are significantly weaker than windows. At this same spot windows works perfectly. Thanks guys for your help.

From my end I don't see any issues with the drivers in Linux. My Alpha 1000 goes blocks from my house. Right now I am only using the standard "out of the box" antenna that ships with the Alpha. I am looking online and considering adding the data alliance 9dbi antenna to my setup. Also, looking at some quite serious "pointable" antennas but it seems overkill for my simple needs.

I might also add, as you mentioned above, the drivers are very good in Windows too. I see so much more strength when I am outside than when I am using the standard atheros on the laptop's motherboard.

Just burned his ISO

there are 2 different places to get drivers for the awus036h on their taiwan site, and both are different versions. one of them is much newer version than what comes on the cd in the box... so maybe you are using old linux drivers, which gives you problems. i recommend trying the 2010 drivers on the taiwan site:
    hxxp://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=105397

scroll down a bit you'll see 1.29.2010 drivers for linux.

Alright this getting annoying. I was just trying to deal with it that the AWUS036H was just crap on BT4 and works amazingly on windows. But, now deauthentication attacks such as airdrop-ng wont even work with the AWUS036H and works fine with my little weak Linksys WUSB54GC adapter. I tried installing the taiwan drivers but BT4 said the stacks were incompatible. So anyways I went back to the beginning. this supposed to be a plug and play with the rtl8187 drivers but that's weak if deauthentication isnt working and once again surfing is working on windows from the same distance that BT4 cant use ettercap, surf, or use wireshark, which isnt very far. Its still in my house. And windows can pick up my ap when I'm like a mile away. Im running this on vmware so I tried using the vmware image. This changed things in that when I go into monitor mode it actually creates a mon0 instead of changing wlan0 to mon0 and only keeping one interface like on the ISO. So I have both wlan0 and mon0 now. However, airdrop-ng is still not working and overall its crap when my little Linksys can outperform the big bad AWUS036H 1000mW

Just burned his ISO LtDemolition's Avatar

Weird.
    I have to same Alfa adapter, and when I start BT4 I immediately connect to the Internet.
    First by starting networking in the services menu, then connect to the AP in WCID, when im connected i have a perfect connection on Firefox, i even logged on to ebuddy.

But after I connected and surfing the internet, all the penetration programs (airodump-ng, aireplay-ng, airmon-ng) don't work anymore after this .

Just burned his ISO

I was faced the same problem as many others here i read.

I found a solution.
    set the txpower at lower lvl by:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20

for me a setting around 20 works fine, i somethimes change it.

to see current txpower : iwlist txpower

it seems strange, but my theori is that the drivers cant handle the txpower so good, or that the access point cant handle the txpower. dont know what but this works fine for me

at the person above me,
    the aircrack tool needs your network card to be switched of at first.
    then turn on monitor mode by: airmon-ng start wlan0 (channal id)

for more information on the aircrack-ng tool read their wiki.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    I was faced the same problem as many others here i read.

I found a solution.
    set the txpower at lower lvl by:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 20

for me a setting around 20 works fine, i somethimes change it.

to see current txpower : iwlist txpower

it seems strange, but my theori is that the drivers cant handle the txpower so good, or that the access point cant handle the txpower. dont know what but this works fine for me

at the person above me,
    the aircrack tool needs your network card to be switched of at first.
    then turn on monitor mode by: airmon-ng start wlan0 (channal id)

for more information on the aircrack-ng tool read their wiki.

I hope this helps
    Thanks finally fixed it. I had to set txpower to 1mW and adjust the rate to 2MB. Crazy weird

Just burned his ISO

First time poster here, but I am using the AWUS036H and have never had a problem getting it to connect....

I manually invoke turning the network on and then using WiCD. Never have had a problem with it under either Linux or Windows........ It should be plug and play.......

Just burned his ISO

Many of these problems may be due to the device not getting all the power it needs. This is no ordinary USB device, this is a 1W unit. Use a dual USB, so that it gets power from 2 different USB ports.

Mine does not work at all with the long cable that came in the box, works ok with a shorter usb cable and works perfect with a dual USB powered by 2 ports.

Hope this helps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast