Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems saving files in CRUNCH

Just burned his ISO

Arrow Problems saving files in CRUNCH

After looking around I found this program for Linux—crunch—to build sequential word files. I downloaded and installed the .tar from here: crunch - wordlist generator | Get crunch - wordlist generator at SourceForge.net

All is up and running well, except for the file saving. The code I'm using is:
    ./crunch 4 4 "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVW XYZ0123456789@$ " -o crunch4

Runs great! But the -o options should save the file to the root as I understood the code, but there isn't a file. Looked all over the place starting at the root, tried to find the stdout file also. Where is it putting the file!

I'm running BT 4 final, and I think I may have had it in the install already, could this be the problem? If so how do I uninstall ALL the files and then remake it. (The uninstall, I have the install thing figured out. I am thinking it has something to do with the synaptic pkg mgr, am I right)

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I'm new to linux, but liking the command line operation of things. BTW OUTSTANDING program.

Default Re: Problems saving files in CRUNCH

crunch is installed in bt4, check howtos and there is a password cracking guide. its long and there is a good guide for crunch

try also "man crunch"

Is there sufficient space on the drive to store the resulting file?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

even when each word is 4 marks long that file will be over 1Gb

Developer

you can always use the find command to find a file:
    find / -name myfile.txt

Just burned his ISO

Wink Re: Problems saving files in CRUNCH

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    even when each word is 4 marks long that file will be over 1Gb
    Thanks halfdone, but I'm only 10%there.
    Oooh, didn't think about this. How would I code in to store it on a separate drive attached to the machine. BTW, how big would a 7 digit file get? My ultimate goal is to have a 4-5-6-7-8 digit dictionaries and have a limited space to work with, say 20G or so.

If there were three more ME's I would still be short 2 to get it all done.

Quote Originally Posted by victor.hatley View Post
    Thanks halfdone, but I'm only 10%there.
    Oooh, didn't think about this. How would I code in to store it on a separate drive attached to the machine. BTW, how big would a 7 digit file get? My ultimate goal is to have a 4-5-6-7-8 digit dictionaries and have a limited space to work with, say 20G or so..
    Your goal can not be achieved within those parameters.

You can do wordlist size calcs easily with google. Using the formula x^y will give you the number of "words", where x is the # of characters in your character set (62 for all alpha upper and lower plus 0 to 9), and y is the max length of passwords.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=62^7

With 62 characters in the character set and up to 7 characters length you're talking ~3Trillion "words". Which would consume:
    http://www.google.ca/search?q=(62^7)...s+to+terabytes*
    ~25.6 TB*.

Word list storage calculations should be done using (x^y)*(y+1) on *Nix systems or (x^y)*(y+2) on Windows systems. One character is equal to one byte therefore the length of the password is the same as the number of bytes each one will consume.

Edit: Adjusted to address lupin's point.

* On a Linux system (like BT).
    Last edited by thorin; 03-09-2010 at 03:44 AM.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Word list storage calculations should be done using (x^y)*y. One character is equal to one byte therefore the length of the password is the same as the number of bytes each one will consume.
    Actually its (x^y)*(y + 1). The extra one accounts for the carriage return character at the end of each word. This of course assumes a single byte character set (ASCII and not Unicode for example) and "Unix" style line endings (as opposed to Windows style line endings which use two bytes instead of one - Unix is \x0a and Windows is \x0a\x0d). You can subtract one byte from the total file size if you dont have the trailing line ending character at the end of the file.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Good to know .... just in case that last byte won't fit!
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Actually its (x^y)*(y + 1). The extra one accounts for the carriage return character at the end of each word. This of course assumes a single byte character set (ASCII and not Unicode for example) and "Unix" style line endings (as opposed to Windows style line endings which use two bytes instead of one - Unix is \x0a and Windows is \x0a\x0d). You can subtract one byte from the total file size if you dont have the trailing line ending character at the end of the file.
    DOH....yup I botched that a bit.

Fixed now, thanks lupin!
    Last edited by thorin; 03-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast