Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing BT4 with windows 7 installed

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing BT4 with windows 7 installed

hi, emm im a new member here, and i can say its great that i found this site. First of all i was intrigue when i first saw ubuntu then backtrack, honestly i was confused at the various applications within the O.S however i really do want to learn something, besides windows family. I tried BT4 with vmware and i did every method i could find to try to connect to the internet for updates but it was totally unsuccessful, so i formatted my laptop and installed windows 7, then when i tried installing BT4 i was confused when i tried to install it in a certain partition using the BT4 partitioner, the error it said was something related to the root file or sumthin like that. Also i watched the video, and i realize that when setting the partitioner in BT4 i had 2 options instead of 3, i didnt have a grub thingy, im open to suggestions and if theres any videos to show a step by step instruction i would greatfully appreciate it... honestly i got lots to learn and i sure hope that i can learn from all of you, who know linux family more than i do.. ^^ ohh and my name is chris

Default Re: Installing BT4 with windows 7 installed

I just followed this:
    Dual Boot | BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution which worked really easy and fine for me.
    In the partitioner just select Guided and drag the bar to how many space you would like to 'steal' from Windows and use for BT.

Just dont forget to click the advanced button and select the proper harddisk for the boot loader!
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by voidnecron View Post

Just dont forget to click the advanced button and select the proper harddisk for the boot loader!
    Which is the proper harddisc?

I have currently the following setup:
    1 500GB Harddisc
    1 Windows 7 32 Bit
    1 Windows 7 64 Bit
    1 Data-Partiton
    1 Unformatted 13 GB <<the backtrack one

So, which Partition I'll have to select for the bootloader? I took a look in the howto, but there is no information about the bootloader.

Thanks,
    nitramf

Just burned his ISO

Sounds like you may have not partitioned your drive correctly. you need to have a Linux swap partition as well as a root partition. The swap should be 2x the size of your ram with a max size of 2GBs. The boot loader should install itself automatically but if you have trouble I suggest downloading super grub and burning it to a disk. From super grub you should be able to boot into BT4. After that run update-grub.
    I personally installed grub 2 as it's works much better than the version that BT4 has.

-Frank

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xAnnhil4ti0nx View Post
    Sounds like you may have not partitioned your drive correctly. you need to have a Linux swap partition as well as a root partition. The swap should be 2x the size of your ram with a max size of 2GBs.
    -Frank
    ...Uhhh no you don't. There is no rule that says one has to have a swap partition and further more there is none that states a maximum size for said partition.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 05-20-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    ...Uhhh no you don't. There is no rule that say one has to have a swap partition and further more there is none that states a maximum size for said partition.
    To add to this, until bt4 final came out almost none of my installs had a swap partition. Even with "just" one Gb of ram. Swap does evil things to flash media. I now have BT installed to a real drive, with a 1Gb swap partition, with 2Gb of ram. If it ever need to swap to the drive, I'm doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nitramf View Post
    Which is the proper harddisc?
    So, which Partition I'll have to select for the bootloader? I took a look in the howto, but there is no information about the bootloader.
    By default the Advanced boot loader options is set to 'Install boot loader' and device (hd0).
    I've noticed that this doesnt work in some cases... most of my cases actually haha.
    I've set the device to the entire harddisk I'm installing on.
    In my case I can pick out of (hd0), /dev/sda, /dev/sda1.
    I picked /dev/sda.
    "The difference between RAID1 and RAID0 is that the zero stands for how many files you're gonna have after a harddisk failure."

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    ...Uhhh no you don't. There is no rule that says one has to have a swap partition and further more there is none that states a maximum size for said partition.
    Yeah but it's recommend and as a rule of thumb it should be 2 times the size of your ram. I've done some reading on it, and I was told 2GB is about a maximum anything more is a waste of space.

Yeah but it's recommend and as a rule of thumb it should be 2 times the size of your ram. I've done some reading on it, and I was told 2GB is about a maximum anything more is a waste of space.
    well whilst you may be right, take in consideration the amount of RAM computer comes with when you buy computer this days.
    (as long as you know what swap partition/ page file is for)
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Yeah well there is a huge difference between the meanings of "need" and "recommendation". Which is why I posted to ensure that both you and the OP you were providing information to knows this. As for reading. I will speculate and say that alot of this info is probably outdated. As is mentioned elsewhere in this thread, if you are not running memory intensive applications then you will not need a lot of memory. A GUI, or web-browser are going to be some of the bigger resource hogs on a given computer.
    But again so long as the OP understands that it is not necessarily mandatory to have a swap then ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast