Thread: how to sniff a password on Lan

Just burned his ISO

Default how to sniff a password on Lan

Hi everybody

I have a question regarding how to sniff the password of Windows Login. For example, I want to get the password of another PC on the local LAN and I know the IP address and I know the Mac address and I know the username but I want to get the password so how can I sniff the password from my laptop if I'm connecting the same network. By the way, the PC that I want to get the password the owner of the PC can access his PC from another computer by using Windows "Remote Desktop Connection". Does RDC can help me in sniffing and identifing the password from my laptop by using a program to sniff. I hope someone can help me.

I want to know the name of the program in BT4 so which is the best program can help. I hope if there is a tutorial or a video on youtube can guide me. Thank you very much for you help.

Default Re: how to sniff a password on Lan

I think this might be helpfull:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/backtrack-howtos/68.htm

I am not sure what your network structure is, but you need to factor this in for a successul capture. You wont be able to capture the required data unless you have a direct tap to the line, or the packets aren't broadcasted. You also need to put into consideration whether RDP channel is being encrypted. Recent versions do not transmit in cleartext.

As for the tool, Wireshark will be able to sniff the wire. You can create filters to specifically grab RDP packets as well. Again, depending on network layout you may need to perform a MITM arp poisoning.

Note: I have not specifically attempted to capture the authentication sequence for remote desktop myself, but it should be a good start.
    Last edited by Liuser; 05-17-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added a few more details

I want to know the name of the program in BT4 so which is the best program can help. I hope if there is a tutorial or a video on youtube can guide me. Thank you very much for you help.
    Why wouldn't you simply try searching for this yourself. Do you really believe you're the first person to ever try this?

Let me google that for you
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

My advice ... go back to your Windows. This is not something you can learn in 10 minutes.
    Oh and one more question: Do you have that owners permision to do this ?
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Of course he does