Thread: I can't even get past the fist screen. (root@bt:~#)

Just burned his ISO

Angry I can't even get past the fist screen. (root@bt:~#)

I can't even get past the fist screen.

Instead of booting up it stopped at root@bt:~#

I typed "start" and when that didn't work, I tried "go web", "up up and away web", "shazam', and "go web go". It was "startx"? Geez, how was I suppose to guess it was "startx"? Why not just boot to the GUI? Seems retarded. Backtrack 3 was so much easier to use. </rant>

The reason I wanted to try bt4 was because of this Gerix Wifi cracker.

Before I go any further, I have a question... Can I get Gerix working on BT3?

Ok onto my real problem, Gerix keeps freezing up. I set my Atheros wifi card to monitor mode and when it hit rescan networks, Gerix freezes.

I browsed the FAQ and some of the stickies, I could use some help.

Help a brother... er uh a cracker out?

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: I can't even get past the fist screen. (root@bt:~#)

Yeah first of all you can't get past the "fist screen" because there is no "fist screen".
    As for your rant we don't care. If you don't like BT then make your own number 1 pentesting linux distro.
    As for browsing the faq, try reading it since it does tell you that the whole "root@bt:~#" is where you would type startx which will start the Graphical User Interface.
    As for your Gerix problem since you can't bother to post relevant info about the problem and we don't read minds we won't bother to guess other than the obvious of you don't know what you are doing.
    As for "Help a brother... er uh...."
    Here are two good resources:
    Advanced Search - BackTrack Forums
    Google

Default Re: I can't even get past the fist screen. (root@bt:~#)

Quote Originally Posted by Keypel View Post
    I can't even get past the fist screen.

Instead of booting up it stopped at root@bt:~#

I typed "start" and when that didn't work, I tried "go web", "up up and away web", "shazam', and "go web go". It was "startx"? Geez, how was I suppose to guess it was "startx"? Why not just boot to the GUI? Seems retarded. Backtrack 3 was so much easier to use. </rant>
    "Guesswork" on how to start the GUI is not required. All you needed to do was to look through the FAQ forum and read the thread entitled "How do I load the GUI/Desktop". We took the time to actually document these questions that end up getting asked over and over again, and to put them all together in one easy to find place, so the least you could do is actually read through them before posting here and complaining.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.