Thread: head scratcher

Just burned his ISO

Default head scratcher

Hello,
    I have a problem and wondered if there was anyway to resolve and rescue a piece of industrial hardware.
    The hardware has a nic which I am told has been given a fixed IP address, which I do not know and need to know in order to interface with the machine.
    I have a laptop, bt4 and a cross-over cable, and wondered if there was anyway I could find out the remote machines IP address?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    J

Default Re: head scratcher

well given the environment that the unit came from you should be able to figure out what range the ip falls in
    ex: if the unit was on a network that had all the computers with a 10.0.0.xxx ip number, then the unit should have an ip in that range.

then you could do a ping of every ip on that subnet, " ping -b 10.0.0.255" or "ping -b 10.0.0"

this is all assuming the device responds to pings..
    even if you do find an ip for the device, you will probably still need a user name and password.

Check with the manufactures website, to see if the have some diagnostic software to connect to the unit
    Or how to reset it and start over.

I know that orinoco used to have software that would find the ip of heir AP's.
    maybe other manufacturers have something similar...?
    Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it stupid

Do you know if it's RFC 1918 address space? Do you know the host name?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

What kind of industrial equipment is this? If it's not a standalone machine then there's most likely something else talking to it. Say a HMI/operator terminal, remote I/O rack or other device on ethernet. Given that you've got two avenues.

1. Run wireshark and see who's trying to talk to who and find the hardware that way.
    2. Go to device B and look at it's configuration to see where it thinks device A is.

What type of hardware are we working with? I may have more direct ways of helping you.