Thread: HP Pavilion dm1 Netbook

Just burned his ISO

Default HP Pavilion dm1 Netbook

Hi all,
    I'm a brand new user to Backtrack and have spent my day off trying to learn how to use it, I'm not that good with writing Linux, but i'm slowly getting the idea of it.

My main question is, I have tried working with the VMWare copy and thats been great, however the network settings in that are straight forward as VMware does that for you. I have tried to make a usb boot disk to run on my HP Netbook though, however am having networking issues. I have tried the /etc/init.d/networking start command both at command line and at the console command line of backtrack, but come back with the same error on all interfaces.... for example, wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device....... This is the same on eth2 and ath0.

I have tried to install the Broadcom 802.11 STA Linux drivers from the website, and have tried to follow the instructions the best i could. However have had problems from the first command, I'm presuming this is due to the fact I have it booted off my USB.

I'm not to sure what i should be doing and I have spent a good solid 3 hours trying to do so. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: HP Pavilion dm1 Netbook

The networking start script tries to start up networking as per the configuration in /etc/network/interfaces. This file tries to bring up eth0, eth1, eth2, ath0 and wlan0 using DHCP. Any of those interfaces that dont exist in your system will generate the "No such device" error. That is normal. You can comment out the configuration lines for any interfaces you dont have if it bothers you.

Running ifconfig after "networking start" will show you which interfaces are operational.

Check out these from the FAQ forum if you havent already:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...irtualbox.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: HP Pavilion dm1 Netbook

Thanks for the quick response. I am unsure how it happened, however i ran ifconfig and it all came back as that they were down, i then ran startx and checked my wifi and it came back with nothing, i then left the system on for approx. half an hour, then i checked my wifi connections again and it came back with my router. However it said it was on eth1, which i find unusual as it was running off wifi... Could you explain what happened? So if i did actually do something I know what it is that i have done.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm not currently at my workstation and am having difficulty remembering the application names and commands.

Regards,