Thread: My USB won't boot on my computer!!! Please Help

Exclamation My USB won't boot on my computer!!! Please Help

I have a fully functioning USB drive with the latest version of backtrack installed on it. I did this at home and I am able to make it work there. However, my second computer (an IBM Pentium (R) 4), although supporting USB's to boot, is not able to open my backtrack. I went on the device boot list at startup and selected "removable devices" and it led me directly to the startup of Windows. What should I do^

Thank you for all who provides any help

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: My USB won't boot on my computer!!! Please Help

This happened to me. In my BIOS "removable media" refers to a floppy drive. My BIOS reads my USB drive as a hard drive. What I had to do was press F12 to enter the 1 time boot menu, and choose my USB drive as the boot device.

Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by h3llt0y0 View Post
    I have a fully functioning USB drive with the latest version of backtrack installed on it. I did this at home and I am able to make it work there. However, my second computer (an IBM Pentium (R) 4), although supporting USB's to boot, is not able to open my backtrack. I went on the device boot list at startup and selected "removable devices" and it led me directly to the startup of Windows. What should I do^

Thank you for all who provides any help
    Well mate you should make your USB device bootable @ first (if u dont believe you can only burb extracted files from backtrack.iso on empty CD and it wont be bootable also).

You have few ways to make your flash drive bootable. Its simple just take a look @
    Code:
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=how+to+make+bootable+flash+drive&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=a537d44c67dd0bd9
    and take tutorial which you most like

regards

I have tried to change all settings in relation to this, to no avail. The computer does read my USB yet it hasn't been able to boot from it still. When I go in "Bios" and into the startup menu, the only removable drive listed is "floppy drive A" or Floppy drive. Am I doing something wrong or is it simply that my computer doesn't support USB booting?

Just burned his ISO

Are you really sure your usb device is bootable? If it is not, it may not appear in BIOS..

my USB is bootable since as I mentioned, It does run on my computer. It actually boots from it. My problem is my other computer (an IBM ThinkCenter). For this particular one, it just doesn't seem to work. :S I've browsed all BIOS menu options and played through those of the startup...to no avail

Just burned his ISO

Take a look at "PLoP Bootmanager". It will boot USB devices on computer that do not support it.
    PLoP - Bootmanager - Free Boot Manager, builtin usb driver, native usb, boot different operating systems, cdrom, usb, freeware, option rom bios

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: My USB won't boot on my computer!!! Please Help

I think your just not looking hard enough. SOMETIMES your usb drive shows up as a HARD DRIVE and then what you need to do is go in the HDD(HarD Drive) group boot priority(Or whatever you have in your bios) and choose you usb to boot first before your hard drive. I know Pentium 4s support usb flash drive boots i done it before. As penguin had stated "removable media" refer to FLOPPY DRIVES AND OR CD DRIVES it will not show up under that BECAUSE if your usb drive is really BOOTABLE then it should show up as a HARD DRIVE OR HDD. Im getting the sense that you dont know much about bios at all is this first time boot a drive from bios.

See if you can do the one time boot manager thing, then hit the hard drive. I know on some machines when you select the drive it will pop up a new window asking which drive. The usb drive might be showing up there.

Just burned his ISO

Hi Everyone,

Having a similar issue with my HP Mini 311. The usb drive boots to the grub menu, but I can't select the image to boot. Every key I press resets the 10 seccond countdown timer. Once the timer counts down it restarts from 10 sec again.

Any suggestions ?

-mike