Thread: NTFS Mount failed

Just burned his ISO

Default NTFS Mount failed

root@bt:~# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
    $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not supported
    Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
    clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
    taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
    your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 -o force

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 ntfs-3g force 0 0
    root@bt:~# mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2 -o force
    $LogFile indicates unclean shutdown (0, 0)
    WARNING: Forced mount, reset $LogFile.
    fuse: failed to access mountpoint /mnt/sda2: No such file or directory
    root@bt:~#

I need help above is the error i got I use this for data storage I can read it but not write permissions won't change once mount as read only

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: NTFS Mount failed

Take my advice with a grain of salt; I'm no expert. And my posts are being moderated due to the fact this is a new account, so you may not get it until someone else answers already.

I can tell you from experience that forcing a mount can very easily pooch the files you are trying to access.. avoid it.

To fix, I've always just booted into windows or if it's a removable drive and you aren't dual booting, just plug it into a windows machine.

Said action has caused the file system to mark itself as clean (and no I'm probably not using the right terminology).. as an example, I have found the following causes NTFS volumes to not mount without the above fix:
    1) dirty shutdowns of whatever had the volume mounted (windows or otherwise)
    2) Corrupted data/bad sectors, which then flag the NTFS volume as needing a checkdisk
    3) A recent discovery, but if you are only part-way through installing/repairing a WinXP installation.

Again, I've resolved by simply mounting the NTFS volume in something like windows.

hi,

it's always a good advise to do a clean shutdown of your windows-based OS running NTFS, to avoid any unstable
    filesystem - if you force overwriting the flag to mark (maybe not a clean filesystem) it clean!

Your failure complains about not having the mountpoint created on your local filesystem!
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda2
    and then reuse your mount command.

Mounting a windows based network share, use a command something like that, if you are using it on a regular base:
    Code:
    mount -t cifs -o credentials=/xxx/xxx/.smbusers,gid=112,iocharset=utf8 //<your windows share>/xxx /mnt/<local directory as mount point>
    Hint: use the 'credentials' option to have a more secure mount command and to avoid to see the actual password in your process/terminal output, or by the worldwide accessable /etc/fstab. Don't forget to only allow root to read/write to this file!

Hint2: gid 112 is in backtrack 4 finale the usual id for the 'admin' group, which is used also to gain root priviliges through sudo (cat /etc/sudoers) and I've assigned a new user I use on a daily base to the 'admin' group - therefore you also have read/write permission
    to your network share above (don't use root in general, especially not to run your X11!)

/brtw2003
    Last edited by brtw2003; 01-24-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Just burned his ISO

I got it fixed i think I need to mkdir which i thought it already had done