Thread: Airodump Power Output

Just burned his ISO

Default Airodump Power Output

So I have had a Alfa AWUS036H (one of the preferred wireless cards around here) and was using it on Backtrack 3 for quite awhile with airodump as well. So now I have upgraded to Backtrack 4, the wave of the future and noticed by airodump-ng power output is now I believe in db.

Originally it would show the signal as 1 - 100, with closer APs being in higher 90's and obviously if I was trying to aim up an AP it would be much lower but the setting was accurate. Now it has changed to dB I think with negative numbers and I noticed is not as accurate.

So just wondering if anyone would be aware how I can change up the driver/airodump to report power levels the older way?

Default Re: Airodump Power Output

Try this:
    Code:
    airdriver-ng unload 36 (rtl8187 module, loaded by default)
    airdriver-ng load 35 (r8187 module)
    This should fix the "problem".

hi, in BT4 finale with latest aircrack-ng updates:

Code:
    airdriver-ng installed |grep 8187
    35. Realtek rtl8187 - custom
    36. Realtek rtl8187 - mac80211
    Like Snayler stated, load the custom one.

/brtw2003
    Last edited by brtw2003; 02-17-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Just burned his ISO

Thank you very much. I tried unloading the default stock loaded drive and load up the custom version and it works perfect like I remember.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by PostalService View Post
    Thank you very much. I tried unloading the default stock loaded drive and load up the custom version and it works perfect like I remember.
    I tried doing the same thing but with no success. I'm currently using Ralink 2573 chipset via usb. Any suggestions? I've been trying some of the others with no success.

Just burned his ISO

Hello,,,,

For airodump-ng, we are seeing the same -xx values reported for PWR on all reported APs as reported above. Looks like BT4 is reporting PWR as some form of units related to dB(s),,,, while BT3 reports PWR as positive values to indicate the higher the number the stronger the signal strength. This is true either from a bootable BT4 cd or from VMware Player running BT4.

The BT4 "man airodump-ng" still defines the PWR as BT3 "man" reports.

Tried the "unload" and "load" on a BT4 booted from a CD and it corrected the situation as described.

However, using the "unload" and "load" in VMware Player running BT4 did not work(??). Is there a way to get "unload" and "load" to work in the VMware Player BT4 environment.

And, any advice about what the default PWR units are being reported from BT4 airodump-ng would be helpfull.

Thanks for your time, help, and advice!!!

jglong3

Just burned his ISO

Hello,,,,,

The next day after we mentioned
    However, using the "unload" and "load" in VMware Player running BT4 did not work(??). Is there a way to get "unload" and "load" to work in the VMware Player BT4 environment.

And, any advice about what the default PWR units are being reported from BT4 airodump-ng would be helpfull.
    we found the statement was incorrect. The "airdriver-ng unload" and "airdriver-ng load" for 36 to 35 works as expected in the VMware Player environment. Seems we were entering the command string incorrectly.

We appologize for any inconvience and the time it took to enter this correction!!! :| :|

jglong3

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I am experiencing the same negative "-" pwr readings with airodump. I am using the Ubiquity SR71X card with the ath9k drivers. I tried looking at airdriver-ng supported list, but didn't see my card listed. I am not sure what I need to unload/load to make my card work with the positive pwr readings.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I also have the Ubiquity SR71-USB if anyone has any suggestions with that one.

Thanks,

Just burned his ISO

Hello,

I currently have the Ubiquity SR71X (which uses the ar9280 driver) and the Ubiquity SR71-USB (ar9170 driver). I have ath9k drivers installed and airodump-ng and packet injection appear to be working. However, I am still getting negative "-" pwr levels with airodump-ng. Does anyone know how to get this back to the positive pwr level for this card?

Interface Chipset Driver

wlan0 Intel 4965/5xxx iwlagn - [phy1]
    wlan2 Atheros ath9k - [phy0] - Ubiquity SR71X
    wlan1 AR9001U ar9170usb - [phy2 -Ubiquity SR71-USB

Running on Ubuntu 10.04
    2.6.32-21-generic-pae #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 09:39:35 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

Can anyone advise?
    Thanks