Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prehaps a very interesting idea please read!

Default Re: prehaps a very interesting idea please read!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Kinda. I've run a kismet_drone over a vpn connection. I've also run them over long distance point to point wifi connections. I think our longest shot was about 12 miles.
    Impressive. What setup were you using?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineOD View Post
    TCP/IP is the standard method.

Jumping between the two wireless networks to the third isn't complex. I believe someone already mentioned DD-WRT and therein is the crux:

A wireless adapter can (generally) only connect to a single SSID at a time. The same generally holds true for an access point. If you have one capable of it, and running White Russian or DD-WRT or whatever, it is possible that you could connect to an access point, SSH into the AP, connect to the next wifi network in the range, and SSH to that AP. So long as there are no connection losses there is no theoretical maximum to this arrangement (much like chaining proxy connections together).

Assuming you have supported hardware between you and your other machines there is no reason you can't continue to do this. The odds of finding it are slim to none.

So, basics: If you can broadcast an SSID *and* connect to another SSID, you can chain it through. My AP is capable, most client cards are not, generally you will require two cards to do this (much like you need two connections to run a fakeap).

The possibilities are limitless really, but we're stepping away from anything even remotely pentesting theoretical, unless you somehow got permission to pentest an entire gated community or something.
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineOD View Post
    dd-wrt'd wrt54gs for the drone. Just threw it on the school network for the long distance shot. We had some skriddies that thought they were being 1337 trying to connect to one of our point to point wifi backbones. Dumb asses were using school issued laptops. The vpn'd one was running at my wife's office doing an open vpn connection back to my house, then I was doing a vpn from work back to the house. After that it's just standard kismet drone settings.

Like Gitsnik said, it's all tcp/ip. Unless you "find" a place with two access points running a version or dd-wrt or open-wrt, you really aren't going to get this to work. Once kismet starts running you lose the ability to connect wirelessly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12