Thread: X11 Screen Resolution Problem

Just burned his ISO

Smile X11 Screen Resolution Problem

I installed BT4-final.
    I realized that my monitor was showing a max resolution of 900x600 while my graphics card actually supported much higher resolutions..
    I tried hunting initially in vain until I discovered these TWO THINGS that helped simplify things for me:
    1. /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains the graphics device configuration settings. It is this file that sets the screen resolution, horizontal / vertical sync, refresh rate, color depth etc upon startx to that mentioned in it.
    2. The fixvesa command!

/etc/X11/ contains a file called xorg.conf-vesa. It basically uses a new driver that is cross-compatible with most graphics cards, allowing us to get our minds off the hardware to focus better onto VA/PT!
    If in case the graphics card is not recognized by BT or something else goes wrong and we end up with some wrong resolution, the xorg.conf will usually look like this:
    [Oh No!]
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

[/Oh No!]

The fixvesa command simply replaces the contents of the xorg.conf with those in xorg.conf-vesa
    Note:- This file contains the most general values for the various parameters (resolution, refresh rate etc) and is not customized for everything that every card will provide. We can modify these values in xorg.conf afterwards.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: X11 Screen Resolution Problem

Not sure of the fix in the above? Maybe I am missing something.

Just burned his ISO

Red face Re: X11 Screen Resolution Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    Not sure of the fix in the above? Maybe I am missing something.
    Well! Its not a "FIX" in the strictest sense of the word.
    But I have seen a lot of people having troubles with screen resolutions in linux / BT (read up a few mails similar to the problem faced by me). I have tried BT on different hardware configs myself and the resolution problem popped up virtually everywhere..

So I said to myself, Its causing trouble, this is what solved my problem.. so its a FIX!!!
    Why not add it to the forum to help newbies fix things for themselves than them having to post and you guys having to moderate and move the posts around...!

If less-sophisticated contributions to the BT community aren't welcome here, I'll definitely keep my teeny weeny bits to myself next time.

Regards,
    Chaos Buddha

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: X11 Screen Resolution Problem

Quote Originally Posted by chaosbuddha View Post
    Well! Its not a "FIX" in the strictest sense of the word.
    But I have seen a lot of people having troubles with screen resolutions in linux / BT (read up a few mails similar to the problem faced by me). I have tried BT on different hardware configs myself and the resolution problem popped up virtually everywhere..

So I said to myself, Its causing trouble, this is what solved my problem.. so its a FIX!!!
    Why not add it to the forum to help newbies fix things for themselves than them having to post and you guys having to moderate and move the posts around...!

If less-sophisticated contributions to the BT community aren't welcome here, I'll definitely keep my teeny weeny bits to myself next time.

Regards,
    Chaos Buddha

I would suggest instead of your capricious attitude that you instead explain your posts a bit better. It's how you choose to do your business and how you choose to word your posts. It is our business to see to it the posts go in the correct section of the forums. I did not tell you to not post or share. But again in my post "Not sure of the fix in the above?"
    I don't see where this is a issue since of course vesa mode resolutions are not always going to be the same as a normal graphics driver's resolution. There is a reason for that.
    Further at the top of the fixes section this topic is covered in the stickied posts by muts, here and here.
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 07-10-2010 at 08:24 PM.