Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customizing Backtrack 4 ISO

Default Customizing Backtrack 4 ISO

Would it be possible to also run apt-get dist-upgrade with bt4-customise.sh script?

i got errors when new programs were tried to be added to the KDE menu

any fix?

Default Re: Customizing Backtrack 4 ISO

Quote Originally Posted by joker5bb View Post
    Would it be possible to also run apt-get dist-upgrade with bt4-customise.sh script?

i got errors when new programs were tried to be added to the KDE menu

any fix?
    Could you be more specific about these errors?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

/usr/lib/menu/lynx: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `lynx'
    /usr/lib/menu/lynx: line 1: `?package(lynx):\'
    Execution of /usr/lib/menu/lynx generated no output or returned an error.
    /usr/share/menu/gparted: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `gparted'
    /usr/share/menu/gparted: line 1: `?package(gparted):\'
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/gparted generated no output or returned an error.
    /usr/share/menu/konsole-kde3: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `konsole'
    /usr/share/menu/konsole-kde3: line 1: `?package(konsole):\'
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/konsole-kde3 generated no output or returned an error.
    /usr/share/menu/qt4-qtconfig: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `qt4-qtconfig'
    /usr/share/menu/qt4-qtconfig: line 1: `?package(qt4-qtconfig):\'
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/qt4-qtconfig generated no output or returned an error.
    /usr/share/menu/alsa-utils: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `alsa-utils'
    /usr/share/menu/alsa-utils: line 1: `?package(alsa-utils):needs="text" section="Applications/System/Administration" \'
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/alsa-utils generated no output or returned an error.
    /usr/share/menu/aptitude: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `aptitude'
    /usr/share/menu/aptitude: line 1: `?package(aptitude):needs="text" section="Applications/System/Administration" \'
    Execution of /usr/share/menu/aptitude generated no output or returned an error.
    c

And where do those errors appear? In a log file? At the console? What did you do immediately before the errors appear? You're following the instructions here I assume?

Id use apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get distupgrade.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

this is what i did after
    Code:
    apt-get update
    Code:
    apt-get upgrade
    downloads and installs all the updates available.
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    downloads and installs all new upgrades.

all errors are in console after i ran apt-get dist-upgrade,
    i ran
    Code:
    update-menus
    and same errors appeared

apt-get upgrade will upgrade will do the job in terms of installing updated software, you shouldnt need to run dist-upgrade. See here.

your wrong. that's just basic instructions for basic people

if a new tool is added to backtrack it would not be installed by just running apt-get upgrade

make sure you read:
    http://www.offensive-security.com/ba...e-tutorial.pdf
    page 5
    i thought mods new this

but tell me how i could fix those errors

Let me explain further.

dist-upgrade won't add new tools either, its basically just a means of updating installed software that deals with dependancies in a different manner. If an upgraded version of an existing package has new dependancies for example, then apt-get upgrade wont update it, but apt-get dist-upgrade might.

You dont NEED to run dist-upgrade to update software UNLESS the particular software you are interested in upgrading is being "kept back" when you run apt-get upgrade. And given that you were having problems only when you ran dist-upgrade, that's why I suggested you do without it.

In addition that link I gave you (the one specifically related to updating a customised ISO) and the customising BackTrack video both leave out the dist-upgrade command, which to me suggests that there might be an issue running this command when in a chroot environment (or perhaps only when running the bt4-customise.sh script).

Id first check that you really want to upgrade the few kept back packages that apt-get upgrade wont do, and then you might need to install the new dependancies from dist-upgrade individually to see which one of those is causing the problem. The packages listed under the "The following NEW packages will be installed:" text when you first run apt-get dist-upgrade are the new dependancies, and it's likely that one of these may be causing the problem you are having. If you only want to upgrade a few of the packages that are being kept back you could also update them individually by using apt-get install.

And "knew" (as in the past tense of "know") is spelt with a "k".
    Last edited by lupin; 04-05-2010 at 07:41 AM.

ok you dont need to tell me what dist-upgrade does
    there is nothing wrong with running dist-upgrade

all new tools install fine in regular live or installed mode

i told u what the problem was
    menu items are not being added to the KDE menu
    like why u bring up this dist-upgrade thing look at the errors!

like if i were to install vlc player it would give me an error too
    since it has to be added to the menu as an application

so can we work on improving the script to work with adding menu items

ok so i found this:
    KDE Menu
    would not really help
    but i think that the KDE menu files did not get mounted right
    could we get more output from the console since the errors are not specific?
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 04-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Gee, I don't know, I was probably talking about apt-get dist-upgrade because you said your errors started after you ran it and because you told me I was "wrong" when I mentioned that it might not be necessary for you to run it at all. I didn't think the connection there was that hard to discern.

Honestly, if this is going to be your attitude Im going to let someone else spend their time trying to assist you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast