Thread: Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

Just burned his ISO AlexDaGr8est's Avatar

Default Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

Hi guys, Im new to Linux again, (i have not used it in around 18 months - since my boss gave me a day to setup a squid proxy) and i know this is not the distro to start, but I am picking things up reasonably quick and learning alot very fast ie nmap, metasploit only in the msfconsole, ettercap etc. Ive been playing around hacking my VM's including Server2008, 2003, xp, vista and my WLAN, been alot of fun.

But one thing has been bothering me and unlike most of the other problems I have encountered, researched and solved I have not been able to find a solution to this one.

So host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (Build 7600) 6.1.7600
    Vmware Workstation 7.1.3 build-324285 Current and up-to-date
    BT4 R2 current and up-to-date (with VMWare Tools installed)

So in my VM, BT4r2 is running its resolution at 800x600, I can just change it but it reverts back to that resolution regardless of what I do, (my monitors all run at 1920x1080) and I put different VMs on different screens)
    regardless, I would like to change the resolution to something like 1440x900 and have it "stick" at that resolution when I reboot, so I dont just have to suspend my VM every time?
    is this something I should be doing in xorg.conf, Im guessing so... my computer displays all the resolutions, yet it does not stay at a constant resolution whenever I restart the computer, I am going to await a reply before attempting to change the xorg configuration file. It could also be something simple that i am missing, that is why I am asking for the communities infinite knowledge first.

Kind regards

Alex

Default Respuesta: Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

You can check this link:
    X Window System Components

And feel free to try and error.

Default Re: Respuesta: Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

Or just make a bash script with the appropriate xrandr command and make it execute after startx
    Or startx 1280x800 or whatever resolution you need.
    Last edited by sickness; 12-19-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    Back|track giving machine guns to monkeys since 2007 !

Do not read the Wiki, most your questions will not be answered there !
    Do not take a look at the: Forum Rules !

Default Re: Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

In xorg.conf I believe the first res you specify is regarded as default, so you might try just reordering the res list in xorg.conf.
    cd ~
    cd ./fridge
    rm beer
    cd ../bedroom
    more beer

Just burned his ISO AlexDaGr8est's Avatar

Default Re: Screen Resolution changes back to 800x600 every reboot

Thankyou to Pentrite for the link Which gave me in-depth detail about the X Window System Component

and "sickness" - Id never even thought of creating a bash script to execute after startx, but this ended up causing the wallpaper to tile
    - I will attempt to do this for a few other things, perhaps for my live usb initially and integrate the start of networking after starting the x server

and also To ThePistonDoctor for helping me - as your suggestion is exactly what I ended up doing

For others who want to see a detailed link on what I did, (I ended up stumbling across this link today for which I take NO credit for) - and unlike other pages, this
    applies directly to BT4r2 (and the Tiling effect of the desktop wallpaper of the kde gui)

http://www.ticktockcomputers.com/blo...ix/#comment-68

Thanking you all once again for your helpful suggestions
    Alex