Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

Default Re: Looking for the best long range antenna out there!

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Well, your question slightly confuses me, if you want a mobile antenna i.e wardriving, I do not see why you would want it directional at all?

Now maybe when you say mobile, you mean small but also directional/semi directional for applications like reaching far away hotspots whilst on holiday etc, in which case I use this which is a great WNIC (wireless network interface card) and is fully compatible with BT4 using the zd1211rw driver.

I also have one of these
    Which I deem, a semi directional mini panel antenna Which I take with my alfa on holidays etc with me. I cant praise the pre mentioned antenna highly enough.
    Well with mobile I mean something thats no huge, 800g antenna is quite big.

What I want from that antenna? Well I want it to be relatively small and if possible I would be able to use it with my alfa awus036h 1000mw. My main use for it is just to find an many as possible wlans on the area, it can be something that is directional/semi directional so I can get better signal from longer distance from AP
    I want to take it with me to vacations so it cant be that huge.

Well, your question slightly confuses me, if you want a mobile antenna i.e wardriving, I do not see why you would want it directional at all?

Now maybe when you say mobile, you mean small but also directional/semi directional for applications like reaching far away hotspots whilst on holiday etc, in which case I use this which is a great WNIC (wireless network interface card) and is fully compatible with BT4 using the zd1211rw driver.

I also have one of these
    Which I deem, a semi directional mini panel antenna Which I take with my alfa on holidays etc with me. I cant praise the pre mentioned antenna highly enough.
    Well with mobile I mean something thats no huge, 800g antenna is quite big.

What I want from that antenna? Well I want it to be relatively small and if possible I would be able to use it with my alfa awus036h 1000mw. My main use for it is just to find an many as possible wlans on the area, it can be something that is directional/semi directional so I can get better signal from longer distance from AP

And if possible I would like to ba able to use it with my Fon+ router i.e. Jasager and other APs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I've seen some pretty screwed up home made wifi antennas. I'd stick to store-bought antennas unless you actually know what you're doing.

The above antenna is a real antenna someone made and was asking us over at the netstumbler forums why it wasn't working right. I did some creative photochopping to protect the innocent, and make fun of the antenna....
    well it's obvious that the thingamabob is not pushing enough gigawatts to the do-hickey... it's sooo simple! yes i agree completely, if you do not know what you are doing, or are unwilling to learn, then store bought all the way. i incorrectly made the assumption that everyone here is willing to learn, and that was truly my mistake (why do all my posts sound sardonic when re-read? this is not intentional)
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    My main use for it is just to find an many as possible wlans on the area, it can be something that is directional/semi directional so I can get better signal from longer distance from AP

And if possible I would like to ba able to use it with my Fon+ router i.e. Jasager and other APs.
    I refer you to this part of my post.

I also have one of these
    Which I deem, a semi directional mini panel antenna Which I take with my alfa on holidays etc with me. I cant praise the pre mentioned antenna highly enough
    Has for your fon+ router using jasager, the antenna you use is irrelevant. Antennas do not change the way your WNIC operates.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Barry are they really going to make me pull up them long forgotten tin foil hat booster instructions?
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Well, your question slightly confuses me, if you want a mobile antenna i.e wardriving, I do not see why you would want it directional at all? If wardriving is the case then you want a small full on omni directional high gain antenna like this.
    I know a guy that wardrives with a couple directionals pointing out opposite sides of his truck. Pretty sure there's a coupe omni's on the roof as well. It's doable, you just have to know what you're doing.

Barry are they really going to make me pull up them long forgotten tin foil hat booster instructions?
    Probably.

only adding that what ever antenna you use is only 1 side of the transmission, if you really want to reach insane distances both sides of transmission need to be boosted.
    I have a few more questions.
    Keep in mine I'm new the this. I want to be 100% of knowing what your meaning.

On the quotes can you explane what transmission means? Where exactly do I but the booster? You said both sides so I'm guessing I would need 2 booster? What booster would you recommend?

Also with the 2.4 GHz Parabolic Grid Antenna, 24 dBi on the site you shown me it cost $124. I searched around and found it on amazon around $52.99 Are these the same?

Check out this kit

I probable should of looked at that before I order my alfa's

Again Thank you for the time you been using to help me out.

Thanks also goes out to the other.

Well it would be nice, Iv tried to use a steel bowl used in kitchen to get better signal. it works.

(it looks like a lot of db loss in all those connectors!)
    Last edited by hypervista; 05-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.

For those willing to learn - Antennas

Once again, nice job onyro.
    SecurityTube has two new sections. Questions & News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast