Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prehaps a very interesting idea please read!

Cool prehaps a very interesting idea please read!

Hello All
    i was talking to a friend the other day about signal repeaters when an idea struck me and i as a result submit to the forum experts as to wheather its possible.
    if in a hyypothetical situation (please not this is as an example only) i had two friends who lived near me, one close the other further away call them jim and bob.
    jim lives too far away for me to pick up his wlan (no encryption) however bob lives in between jim and i and can pick up both of our routers.
    would it be possible to log onto bob's router and use it to "hop" onto jims router?
    by which i mean simulate myself being at bob's house.
    of course jim and bob do not exist they would be replaced by two routers in different rooms of my house.
    both owned by me.
    cheers
    yoma

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default Re: prehaps a very interesting idea please read!

You must have a big house, check here.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 05-09-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Not quite what yoma is getting at i don't think. If you can compromise a pc on Jim's network that has 2 Wireless cards, then you could probably do it, have Jim's pc share Bob's internet connection with you. As for bridging connections, with one router, I'm not sure. Do some research on bridging network connections. And whether it can be done with the particular brand of Router that you have.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

yes WolverineOD i suppose that would be the only option.
    or i suppose you could compromise a pc that was hard wired to the network but had a wireless card installed and then use that to share the out of range wireless network!
    will look into it and get back to the forum
    cheers
    yoma

Quote Originally Posted by yoma819 View Post
    of course jim and bob do not exist they would be replaced by two routers in different rooms of my house.
    both owned by me.
    cheers
    yoma
    Well If this statement is true, then the link I posted is exactly what he is looking for.
    Further more I am unaware of any wireless router than can be turned into a wireless repeater whilst retaining its original functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by yoma819 View Post
    or i suppose you could compromise a pc that was hard wired to the network but had a wireless card installed and then use that to share the out of range wireless network!
    Again I refer you to my link.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 05-09-2010 at 12:44 PM.

What would be the purpose of this within your own home? If you are simply trying to access the internet then use the router nearest you. I can't imagine a scenario within a home network where you would need something like this...

The idea of packet sniffing someones network through a bridged connection like this is an interesting idea though. I'm not sure how it would work, but it would give an attacker access to many many more networks. Not sure this is related to pentesting in any way, but it is kind of a scary idea. Someone could theoretically sniff packets to an entire neighborhood for instance if they found the password to at least one router within range of the previous. Is something like this really possible?

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    Well If this statement is true, then the link I posted is exactly what he is looking for.
    Further more I am unaware of any wireless router than can be turned into a wireless repeater whilst retaining its original functionality.
    It would be for use in your own home, but he is using his own home as a test for if you didn't have physical access between the two routers. And yes, in order to use a router to bridge to another network, It would stop functioning as a router itself for other users, But they would still be able to access the internet through the now bridged connection. I haven't looked into it on my own router, as i don't have another one to test it. But it does have options for bridging connections. It would be related to pentesting if the employers had different, fully seperate networks for different parts of the company. And although i cant think of an example of where this might happen. Its possible. And yes. If you had access to one pc on the compromised network, you could use that computer to then sniff for other networks, penetrate them, and repeat. Eventually if you were 'hopping' all those networks, there would be a huge amount of latency. But i can see it working. someone should do a test. On their own network of course. Not using their neighbours as ginnie pigs. Which although be more of a challenge, would be illegal.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Do not get me wrong the attack would be possible in this chain.
    Compromise network 2`s router>set up router 1 as a bridge>compromise a computer on network 2 (must be capable of packet injection)>use computer on network 2 to compromise router 3>set up router 2 as a bridge (network 1, 2 and 3 have now become a single network), you can now use what used to be network 3, which before was unreachable.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 05-10-2010 at 01:14 PM.

dd-wrt firmware on most routers with dual band I believe supports this function... or something similar.... look into it...

Quote Originally Posted by mixit View Post
    The idea of packet sniffing someones network through a bridged connection like this is an interesting idea though. I'm not sure how it would work, but it would give an attacker access to many many more networks. Not sure this is related to pentesting in any way, but it is kind of a scary idea. Someone could theoretically sniff packets to an entire neighborhood for instance if they found the password to at least one router within range of the previous. Is something like this really possible?
    Kinda. I've run a kismet_drone over a vpn connection. I've also run them over long distance point to point wifi connections. I think our longest shot was about 12 miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast