Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nmap questions

Default Re: nmap questions

It really just looks like the interface you are attempting to scan through is down, or not functioning correctly.

You can use the "nmap --iflist" command to see a list of interfaces and routes that nmap knows about...this might help narrow it down for you.

Again, without seeing more details about the error, and what you were attempting to do at the time of the error that's about the best I can do for you...
    I got 99 problems but the bits ain't one...

Just burned his ISO

@Liuser
    What I am trying to do in a nutshell: Try to see my wireless network as an intruder would see it. If I understand it right the first step would be a port scan.
    I know how easy it is to crack WEP. I call it a sign on the door kindly asking people not to come in. :P
    I have studied WPA a little bit too. I know how to deauth a client and then get the handshake. However, this is not my goal.
    I know I was wrong in trying to scan the bssid and the ssid but I figured since just giving in the IP didn't get me anywhere either I would give it a try. :P Also I thought there should be something in the command line to specify the network. It now seems there is no need for that.

@TheLaw
    I have changed my WPA key into something extremely hard to guess or to brute force. It is about 20-30 characters long and goes something like "lPf57z1p".
    I know that with open ports I might be exploited, hence the view from the outside. To be honest I did not search for those yet as I have no need for them but perhaps I should make the time to do so.
    For now, I would just like to do this port scan and see where it takes me. Is it really required to be associated with my network to run a port scan with Nmap and if so could you tell me what other program I should be using? If association is not needed, could you please tell me what the correct syntax should be?

@skidmarq
    Perhaps I am making it too hard. Then again, I did find Nmap online and it told me my ports are filtered. I could try to find a hot spot but that would cost money and I would probably be breaking their TOS. Not to mention I would need to buy a laptop and I have a misguided feeling the router might look different when approached from the wired web instead of the wireless. All that while I have the equipment to do it myself. I just need to find the knowledge to use that equipment. Now I know there are two WEP encoded networks in range and I could be in it within 10 minutes but that would mean breaking the law. With a criminal record I would be unemployed so I will refrain from using that option, hope you agree.
    All I really want is to either know what I am doing wrong or to please be pointed to a place that could help me. Even though I know Google would be the place to point to I still have not found where on Google I should be. Pointing to nmap itself doesn't work for me either. Or do you expect me to read every single blog the creator posts on it? I tried the ref guide and parts of the book that are free.
    The scan never ran as I got an error. The error is posted above. The commands I tried varied from just the BSSID, the SSID, the IP to any combination on the three.

You have a point in your last post. Good thing I checked before posting reply.
    The command: nmap -e wlan0 198.167.0.0/16
    Output: I can't figure out what source address to use for device wlan0, does it even exist?
    I then tried "--iflist" and it showed me only the 127.0.0.1 loop address.
    This is getting me somewhere.

alright, let's go ahead and kill this thread stat, i'm gonna try to bust-a-spoon.

1. you have your network (laptop, router...etc) name "insertarbitrarynamehere"
    2. you have connected to (authenticated, associated and dhcp'd) this network and a valid IP has been assigned to your network interface <-- if false see else.
    3. you want to know what is on your network, ie, computers, routers, xbox etc... so you use nmap and scan for live hosts, and services running/ ports that are open/closed/filtered on said hosts; (example nmap -sT -f -P0 -A 192.168.1.1-100) <-- this basically says nmap do a fast, tcp connect scan to these ip addresses, btw don't ping the host, and if the host is up, tell me as much info as you can about them
    4. after some time nmap will spit out some results for you to do what ever you want with them

else !?! you have not connected to above mentioned network, therefore you should not be even trying to use nmap as it would be useless, in this case see

aircrack usage - Google Search

hopefully this will end this run-around game, however if it does not, upload more info the commands you are doing in order, the output you recieve and if at all possible where in the 1,2,3,4,else you are having trouble.

also @purehate... way to keep your pimphand strong
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

OP the post above mine has the answer.
    You just need to slow down and take some time and learn the basics.
    See this thread for more on that.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...ad-thread.html
    Note that while once should read as much as possible when it comes to Penetration testing, reading all is impossible.
    But do at least know the basics of how networks and tools work will go along way. As well as knowing where to find information at.

Just burned his ISO

Sorry for the late reply, circumstances.

@crweedon
    I would be on the "else" category. Since I wanted to see what it looked like on the outside I did not connected to my network.
    I do appreciate the spoon on this one btw.
    I connected and did a scan. It revealed a few ports open on my router, now to find out what they are for and close them if needed. That part my good friend Google can answer so I won't bother you guys with that part. (I know I need a spoon sometimes but like to feed myself so to speak.)
    Anyways, thank you for the information.

@Archangel-Amael
    The post indeed had the answer. It showed the n00bie misunderstood something.
    I did check out some links of the long list in the link you provided but it was, imho, not all related to my search for the Holy Grail. The Grail was in this instance: How can my ISP complain about a virus originating from my IP while I am extremely focused on security.
    The search continues as I can't believe my WPA password can be broken and without my pass my wifi should be safe.

To all that tried to help me: Thank you.

no problem, we all make dumb mistakes every once in a while, i recently made a rather embarrassing one myself. so know that it happens to everyone. good luck
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12