Thread: WPA cracking probelm

Just burned his ISO

Default WPA cracking probelm

Hello!
    I must say, I'm new to backtrack
    I work in the IT sector, in a company, to maintain a network so I want to learn about the attacks on wep and wpa/wpa2 keys and how to protect against attack?
    WEP key I understood how to crack, is quite simple and quick process, but I do not understand about WPA and WPA2 cracking.
    I read a lot about it, and I do not understand how to create and use precompiled hash and hach, in cowpatty.
    I found some torrents to download hash table, but which to download?
    Do I need to download the MD5 or some other table? Does the download of a Ranbow table or cowpatty table?
    So can you recommend some of the torrents.
    I found a torrent, 33 GB, will it work on my computer (4gb ram, C2D 2GHz ,...).? Thanks!

Default Re: WPA cracking probelm

The Aircrack suite may be a better option for starting out than going straight to using cowpatty, there is extensive documentation on the aircrack-ng website (Google) about how to go about this, and several links to papers about the downfalls of WPA/2. Id like to add that we hear alot of these stories here. And next time you might want to whip out your Google-Fu first and then come here with some questions after you've gained some background knowledge. We font spoon feed, but hopefully you can get yourself started now.

the best way to secure your network when using wpa-psk is to let the ap change keys every hour.... this way, the chances of a person trying to crack the key is quite small, since there are thousands of dictionary files to go around .... sometimes takes up to a week to crack one...

not sure bout the hash tables you mention here ... but i did have a positive experience by just changing the dictionary file you downloaded to dict2 dict3 etc, and then using the adress of them in cowpatty command in konsole ....

is this helpful ?

there is no need to change anything in the file you download ... just make sure its coded texture is compatible with the bt cracking command you use .....

The rainbow tables are handy if you happen to come across an access point with an SSID that matches one already created. I recommend you create your own with the tools already included in BT4. It will save you from such a large download (much of which you won't use) and you will be creating a hash file specific to your target. It takes some time to create your hash file (depending on the speed of your processor and the size of your password list - it takes me around 45 minutes or less to create one on my box).

One crucial factor in creating your hash file and WPA cracking in gerneral is the strength of your password list. You can grab the one used to create the 33Gb tables at Renderlabs (scroll down a bit and look for, "Associated Files" and grab 9-final-wordlist.zip. You can add you own favorite pass phrases to that one, but be careful not to introduce CR-LF characters to the file in the process. Just to be sure, run the command fromdos on the file after you edit it.

Then run cowpatty's genpmk utility like this:

./genpmk -f <password list> -d <the name you want to call your hash file> -s <target AP ESSID> .

This will create your hash file.

Then run cowpatty like this:

./cowpatty -r <your capture file> -d <your hash file> -s <target AP ESSID>.

You can also use John the Ripper to provide the password list, just pipe the JTR output into cowpatty.

Good luck.
    Last edited by hypervista; 04-28-2010 at 12:28 PM.

Does pyrit not create a hash table on the fly and pipe it straight into cowpatty, like in purehates cuda Howto?

Just burned his ISO

Smile Re: WPA cracking probelm

Thank you all for your help!

Yesterday, I downlod 9final passlist, and I put another 2 million generated password, low case, the length of eight, because my password was 8 characters long. I found on the google a list of names for my country, I also apparently put in final list and in the end size was about 3.3 million passwords.
    With gnpek, I made a hash file (took a little longer), I tried and works and finally realized what a hash, ie how to make!

If I downloaded cowpatty table, I would not have helped much, because my password was the name of the town in Serbia, and it is definitely not in 9final passlist