Thread: BackTrack/WEP cracking newbie in need of help

Just burned his ISO

Default BackTrack/WEP cracking newbie in need of help

Hey guys. New member of the forums and relatively new user of Linux(Kubuntu flavor).

I have heard a ton about how "easy" it is to crack WEP networks. After hearing this I figured I would try and test this out on my personal router(Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router). I found a how-to off of lifehacker.com(lifehacker.com/5305094/how-to-crack-a-wi+fi-networks-wep-password-with-backtrack) and started trying.

However after numerous attempts and hours of searching for answers I have not succeeded. I am pretty sure I am doing everything right however it still does not seem to be working.

Airodump-ng is collecting data(same thing as IV's?) but however only when I am stimulating network traffic on either my computer(the same one performing the hack, or my roommates computer)

I have associated myself with the AP using the Aireplay-ng -1 attack(Even though it takes a while to associate with the AP)

Aireplay-ng -3 attack works however only about 1/5 of the time it is able to collect any ARP's. Even if it does it does not seem to increase IV's at all. Also some of the time it reaches a certain number of ARP's and suddenly stops(even though the sent packets keeps increasing).

I have messed around somewhat with Aireplay-ng's -2 and -5 attacks but I'm really not sure what I'm doing with those.

The standard interface that my computer uses is wlan0 and when I restart it with airmon-ng it enables monitor mode on mon0. I have noticed something peculiar when I run ifconfig mon0 however.
    Code:
    root@jonzo-laptop:/home/jonzo# ifconfig mon0
    mon0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-1F-3B-D3-C5-D1-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:787 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:86250 (86.2 KB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    When specifying my mac I only use 00-1F-3B-D3-C5-D1 even though I have no idea what all the other 0's are for.

When I try to use Aircrack-ng to find the wep it always fails and tells me to find IV's. I have also tried the -K attack in aircrack(I'm assuming this is more of a brute force attack?) with no success.

I first started trying to do this on a 128-bit WEP but realised I might as well try to start on a 64-bit but even after I switched my network to a 64-bit I still haven't been able to crack it.

Can anybody help me out with this? I would love to figure out what I'm doing wrong and finally get that damn wep key.

If you guys need any more info I will be glad to provide it.

Default Re: BackTrack/WEP cracking newbie in need of help

There has to be a traffic for you to be able to capture IVs.Simply get another laptop and connect it to your router,do some network activity.Then use another machine for running airodump-ng and all this stuff.
    Aireplay-ng -4 and -5 are attacks you can use when there is no client connected to AP, which is your case i assume.
    ,, It's the flower of light in the field of darkness that's giving me the strength to carry on.,,
    Eli says:,,No, it's, uh, Johnny Cash, Live at Folsom Prison,,

Use a second PC on the wireless network to do an ARP scan...
    I got 99 problems but the bits ain't one...

Just burned his ISO

thanks for the help ^^ but I don't have another computer at hand that is able to run airodump or inject packets. I also feel like a dick trying to take other peoples computers just to test them out with a BT cd.

Anyway new developments. I just tried the aireplay-ng 9 attack to see if my card can inject packets and found out that it indeed can't. I find this strange though because I have been able to get ARP's in the past.

Airodump-ng seems to still be working however and collecting packets when there is network traffic. As we speak airodump is still collecting packets and I have had no success cracking my network. I last tried it with 270,000 IV's but still have had no luck cracking the 64 bit network.

Even though I can't inject packets I still should be able to crack the key if I have enough IV's right?

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Check here.
    Last edited by killadaninja; 05-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

Just burned his ISO

Are you the only station/machine inside the network? if you can have another station/machine connect to the AP, try deauth the station/machine to increase the rate. Else you have to use chop chop or fragmented attack.
    I am not quite understand the problem you are facing now, could you explain a little bit more?
    Also, following those tutorials makes you know how to use the tools, but not understand the theory behind. Do some google search.

And once again, PLEASE USE MORE DESCRIPTIVE TITLES for your thread.