Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1005PE & BackTrack

Just burned his ISO

Default Asus Eee PC 1005PE & BackTrack

Hi

This post is going to be short as I previously wrote out this really long post, but cannot recover it because I "timed out" whilst writing it.

So to the point!

How is BT compatibility with the 1005PE, I know it seems to work pretty well with the 1005HA

I'm mainly interested in packet injection.

I'm buying either the 1005PE or the 1005HA and the goal is to use it for penetration testing mostly, I will be connecting to cisco devices, and i'll be listening to audio (mp3's) and watch some videos (youtube).

I'm just wanting to make sure this machine will work well with this distro.

So if anyone has some thoughts, please do share.

Also (on an unrelated note) if you can recommend a wireless card that works via USB that is well supported in linux and will work with all tools, please do share. I'm hoping this internal card will work for all my needs, as well as this netbook.

Here's a direct link to both models that I'm considering buying:

1005PE
    Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005PE-MU17-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - Up to 11 Hours of Battery Life: Computer & Accessories

1005HA
    Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 10.5 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter): Computer & Accessories

Please do respond back so I can know which one to order, and if you have some links to share for setup guides and woes, please do share!

also, just wondering, is compiz supported?

Thanks!

Default Re: Asus Eee PC 1005PE & BackTrack

Unless someone here on the forums has tested this device fully and is prepared to share their experience, I'd say you're not going to get the answer you were hoping for.Most likely, no-one here will be able to tell you for sure whether BT4 will work out-of-the-box for these devices, but that's no reason (in my opinion) to halt. You will need to be prepared to thoroughly troubleshoot any issues you come across, with limited assistance from the community. If this sounds like it's going to be too much work or hassle, I'd suggest BT4 may not be what you're looking for.

As for wireless USB cards, check out the Aircrack-ng site for a list of known compatible cards to help you make your decision. You'll also find the answer to your compiz question via your favourite search engine.

Just burned his ISO

I own the 1005pe and only had a few issues. Nothing a little research couldn't fix.

Startx was not working to boot desktop. ( Update Nvidia Drivers ASAP)

Keyboard and mouse pad were not working ( BIOS update as soon as you get it)

Other than that I love it, bought a WG111v2 WIFI for playing around my WIFI Network.
    and I recommend upgrading to 2 gigs of ram, I could see the improvement it made.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by mistafreeze View Post
    How is BT compatibility with the 1005PE, I know it seems to work pretty well with the 1005HA

I'm mainly interested in packet injection.

I'm buying either the 1005PE or the 1005HA and the goal is to use it for penetration testing mostly, I will be connecting to cisco devices, and i'll be listening to audio (mp3's) and watch some videos (youtube).

So if anyone has some thoughts, please do share.

1005HA
    Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC Seashell 1005HA-PU17-BK 10.1-Inch Black Netbook - 10.5 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter): Computer & Accessories
    I have run (and continue to run) the ASUS Eee PC 1005HA with both Ubuntu Lucid 10.x (Alpha), OpenBSD and BackTrack 4f. My experience is the 1005HA works perfectly with everything, including all the BackTrack tools. Ubuntu is "Lucid" is an absolute pleasure to run and I have spent a good deal of time making Ubuntu 10.x (Lucid) work with Gnome (my preferred Window Manager) and all the BackTrack tools I use (since I do not use all of the tools and the laptop is a system I actually use daily - I wrote this entry on it - this makes sense for me).

I have booted the BackTrack Live ISO on this machine and I have installed BackTrack on this computer as well. I have not had a single problem with any tool or anything installed in BackTrack.

I played with a Eee PC 1005PE (at Best Buy) and booted the BackTrack Live ISO on that system, thinking I might upgrade to it, and I had nothing but problems with video card detection (X did not start) and the wireless card (not recognized by default).

My only suggestion is to upgrade the RAM. 1GB is pathetic. 2GB can be had for $40 on Amazon (and, it is faster RAM than the default 667 RAM in the 1005HA).

My next computer, however, will likely be a Thinkpad X201s (or the cheaper X100 series, if I am going to buy a NetBook again).

Hope this helps. My blog has some photos and other comments: Life Zero

I can't comment on the 1005PE, though recently at least one person having trouble with the wireless/ethernet not being detected. Whether it was down to user knowledge I'm not sure. I have the 1005HA-P, everything works out of the box for me. With a minor tweak to grub to set the resolution to 1024x600. I use it as a dedicated pen-test system (wiped windows off) & haven't had any issues. Regarding a wireless USB adapter: I have the Alfa awus036h 500mw, it's typically the #1 recommended card & works great with BT.

Just burned his ISO

I have the 1005PE and am having the video problem, as im typing im also downloading the new BIOS and the video card detection, next to test would be the wireless/ethernet. It would be great if MosGuy would remember if that other person resolved the wireless card problem. The wireless problem is important and I would be happy if i can manage to make it work with the on-board one but Im also expenting a Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW USB Wireless Adapter in the main this week that should work without problems. thx guys for ur help.

Quote Originally Posted by PepinYaco View Post
    I have the 1005PE and am having the video problem, as im typing im also downloading the new BIOS and the video card detection, next to test would be the wireless/ethernet. It would be great if MosGuy would remember if that other person resolved the wireless card problem. The wireless problem is important and I would be happy if i can manage to make it work with the on-board one but Im also expenting a Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW USB Wireless Adapter in the main this week that should work without problems. thx guys for ur help.
    I haven't seen the OP to the thread reply back, I don't know whether it was resolved or not. What I suggested was: Go into the BIOS and make sure the ethernet/wireless are enabled. Then at a prompt type: "ifconfig -a" to see if the cards are detected or not. I haven't read up on how the chipset specs of the PE differ from the HA. So I'm sure what might be required in the way of drivers. As for the Alfa 2000mW, you might have headaches there as well. I've read the 2000 model isn't well supported currently. Of course your mileage may vary.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by MosGuy View Post
    I haven't seen the OP to the thread reply back, I don't know whether it was resolved or not. What I suggested was: Go into the BIOS and make sure the ethernet/wireless are enabled. Then at a prompt type: "ifconfig -a" to see if the cards are detected or not. I haven't read up on how the chipset specs of the PE differ from the HA. So I'm sure what might be required in the way of drivers. As for the Alfa 2000mW, you might have headaches there as well. I've read the 2000 model isn't well supported currently. Of course your mileage may vary.
    I really appreciate that u responded cuz im realllyyyyyyy new to all this Linux and backtrack. I manage to load BT n my 1005PE but I had to use an external monitor, cuz i did not find the way to have BT recognize my netbook screen. I do think that the wireless card works because when I typed the /etc/init.d/networking start i saw that it found a wlan0 and it started scaning and it found at lesst 15 connections. But not sure 100% what happen, cos i cut not connect to the internet at all. But I will keep trying. Any help on the Video and Wirelles problem will be apresiated. Thx
    Last edited by PepinYaco; 03-25-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Just burned his ISO

just to update that I tried using the BT version 3 with my Asus Eeepc 1005PE and this version does sees my screen (oppose to the BT 4) dont know why, does anyone have any idea how i can maybe trick BT 4 to see my video screen?

Also I finaly got me the Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW but have not test it cuz this BT 4 screen problem.

Unhappy Re: Asus Eee PC 1005PE & BackTrack

I had the 100ha bk4 beta and final everything worked. EEE pc 1005pe has intel gma 500 shared video chipset. I love the pc but the only way Backtrack works is virtually within windows. The video works but not lan or wifi Ill wait i know its a new pc So im sure someone more Knowledge than my self and will make a workaround , Updatng the nvidia drivers wont work,because its intel not invidia. I tried all video modes vga etc. Cant do apt get because x server wont start, Then i get compression errors. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast