Thread: BIOS not recognizing BT

Just burned his ISO

Default BIOS not recognizing BT

Following Arch-angel's suggestion to use Unetbootin, I have had no luck.

Initially, I tried to extract the .iso (final release) to my NTFS external USB hard drive. I attempted to boot from it, however, the BIOS complained there was no bootable media device. I spoke to quite a few people who're Linux savvy. They suggested I try FAT32, assuming GRUB didn't work with NTFS properly. I partitioned 32GB, formatted as FAT32, and installed with Unetbootin. No luck.

I got fed up and assumed there was an issue with my external hard drive. I partitioned 12GB of my main hdd, which contains Windows 7, used Unetbootin to install. I rebooted hoping it would pop up with a list of OS's to boot from, but instead went ahead and booted directly to Windows 7.

I'm aiming to create a persistent partition on my USB drive for portability, but everything I have tested has failed. I followed plausible tutorials in the "HowTo" sections as well. This is direly frustrating me :/

P.S. What's with the prepost moderation? >.>

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: BIOS not recognizing BT

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    Following Arch-angel's suggestion to use Unetbootin, I have had no luck.

Initially, I tried to extract the .iso (final release) to my NTFS external USB hard drive. I attempted to boot from it, however, the BIOS complained there was no bootable media device. I spoke to quite a few people who're Linux savvy. They suggested I try FAT32, assuming GRUB didn't work with NTFS properly. I partitioned 32GB, formatted as FAT32, and installed with Unetbootin. No luck.

I got fed up and assumed there was an issue with my external hard drive. I partitioned 12GB of my main hdd, which contains Windows 7, used Unetbootin to install. I rebooted hoping it would pop up with a list of OS's to boot from, but instead went ahead and booted directly to Windows 7.

I'm aiming to create a persistent partition on my USB drive for portability, but everything I have tested has failed. I followed plausible tutorials in the "HowTo" sections as well. This is direly frustrating me :/

P.S. What's with the prepost moderation? >.>
    This is all because you are not reading and understanding what you are reading. If you can't figure out how to make a bootable usb stick with unetbootin, maybe it is a bit over your head and should try to understand more on basics and what it is you are reading before jumping into more technical matters.

The tutorial that is posted is a very good one and many people have used it to make a BT usb setup. Start all over and work slowly through the process and keep trying until you get it right.
    Patience will pay off.

As for the P.S. read the rules you said you would uphold, and you will find the answer.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel-Amael View Post
    This is all because you are not reading and understanding what you are reading. If you can't figure out how to make a bootable usb stick with unetbootin, maybe it is a bit over your head and should try to understand more on basics and what it is you are reading before jumping into more technical matters.
    I am reading and understanding exactly what the tutorials are explaining. I didn't feel this was worth mentioning, but I had also tried installing BackTrack 3 last year provided with the same information & identical steps. Understand that I did not limit myself to only trying a single tutorial. I tried the live USB install tutorial, the persistant URB tutorial, attempted dual booting, and started to attempt with VMware.

The tutorial that is posted is a very good one and many people have used it to make a BT usb setup. Start all over and work slowly through the process and keep trying until you get it right.
    Patience will pay off.
    I agree, the tutorial is very elaborate. I've been following several tutorials in consecutive hours simply trying to get it to boot from my external USB hard drive. I'm going to take another slew of hours and dig a bit more into tutorials until I find that there was a minuscule step that other tutorials didn't feel worth mentioning. As I am unable to boot of course, I've only gotten to Unetbootin in the very good tutorial.

As for the P.S. read the rules you said you would uphold, and you will find the answer.
    I have read them; I was looking for more of an approximate answer. Days, posts, etcetera, but I guess it's too much of a hassle to be answered.

Thanks for your help, Archangel.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Well given that others have gotten it to work and you didn't, not to mention there really isn't a whole lot of info to go off of, it is kind of hard to help.
    As for the Moderation of posts. Yes they are moderated as for how long and or how many, is a mystery. As for why. It's simple really. To help eliminate spam and to help moderators to 1, keep the forum neat and tidy (posts in the right section, cut down on multiple duplicate posts) and to help ensure that posts are not attempting to facilitate illegal activities.
    Again all of this is in the forum rules.

Try this. its net using unetbootin, but this is probably the easiest way to get BT4 to usb.
    http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
    Its 4 simple steps.

1 Download that software - linux live usb
    2 If you already have BT4 iso and its not corrupted (test md5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-checking.html) use it, but you can also download BT4 using that program. its faster to use already existing one.
    3. Dont use persistence.
    4. check box format to fat 32, uncheck "enable launching linux live directly in windows"
    5 then just click that lightning icon to start. It will take at least 20 min, so wait.
    6 than boot your computer and in BIOS choose to boot from USB, its important.

I hope this helps.
    2 you need a empty 4gb or bigger usb stick

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone View Post
    Try this. its net using unetbootin, but this is probably the easiest way to get BT4 to usb.
    http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
    Its 4 simple steps.

1 Download that software - linux live usb
    2 If you already have BT4 iso and its not corrupted (test md5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-checking.html) use it, but you can also download BT4 using that program. its faster to use already existing one.
    3. Dont use persistence.
    4. check box format to fat 32, uncheck "enable launching linux live directly in windows"
    5 then just click that lightning icon to start. It will take at least 20 min, so wait.
    6 than boot your computer and in BIOS choose to boot from USB, its important.

I hope this helps.
    2 you need a empty 4gb or bigger usb stick
    I've discovered the actual problem. I have an external hard drive that connects via USB. It's not a flash drive, it's an actual hard drive. I've borrowed a flash drive to test BT4, and it works. The methods I have tried does /not/ work with my external hard drive, which is bad. It's a 120GB hard drive. Dunno how to get it to work with my external hard drive.