Thread: BackTracking

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question BackTracking

Hello,
    i think that is a stupid question, but ... BackTrack 4 suposed to "Back Track " the hacker right ?
    How Can I BackTrack someone, like forensic tracking if user is hacking my system. Can someone explain how can i track a user who is trying to destroy server ? I cant Find any solution on forum.
    [CENTER][B]"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."[/B][/CENTER]

Default Re: BackTracking

Quote Originally Posted by [d.u.i.] View Post
    Hello,
    i think that is a stupid question, but ... BackTrack 4 suposed to "Back Track " the hacker right ?
    No, its a Linux distribution designed for Penetration Testing. Dont try and read too much into the name.

Quote Originally Posted by [d.u.i.] View Post
    How Can I BackTrack someone, like forensic tracking if user is hacking my system. Can someone explain how can i track a user who is trying to destroy server ? I cant Find any solution on forum.
    If the attackers happen to be connecting directly to you from their own Internet connection and you log the traffic (firewall/IDS/webserver access log etc) or you do a netstat on the right system at the right time you will be able to get their IP address, but there are lots of ways for the attacker to avoid giving you that much information that easily. Beyond that the issue becomes more complicated and you really need to better understand how the attacks work and the traces they leave...

Probably a good general purpose introduction to this particular subject to get you started would be Cliff Stolls "The Cuckoo's Egg" book, or the shorter online version of the story "Stalking the Wily Hacker"
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.