Thread: wicd will not start

Default wicd will not start

hello guys, so i had bt3 installed on my hdd and was using linux fine i was using wireless manager to connect to the internet. i wanted bt4 so i wiped the hd and installed and wireless manager is gone but now we have wicd but when i click on it nothing at all happens. btw im using an older dell laptop with a linksys wpc54g pcmcia wireless card which worked excellent in bt3. Also it seems as though the interface is different now in bt3 it was considered eth1 and using airmon it would just put eth1 in monitor and would inject and everything just fine. now in bt4 it lists it as wifi0 and when i run airmon it puts mon0 into monitor mode havent tried cracking yet to see if it still works ok, my main concern is to be able to connect to a network. Any opinions to whats going on??

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Default Re: wicd will not start

Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    hello guys, so i had bt3 installed on my hdd and was using linux fine i was using wireless manager to connect to the internet. i wanted bt4 so i wiped the hd and installed and wireless manager is gone but now we have wicd but when i click on it nothing at all happens. btw im using an older dell laptop with a linksys wpc54g pcmcia wireless card which worked excellent in bt3. Also it seems as though the interface is different now in bt3 it was considered eth1 and using airmon it would just put eth1 in monitor and would inject and everything just fine. now in bt4 it lists it as wifi0 and when i run airmon it puts mon0 into monitor mode havent tried cracking yet to see if it still works ok, my main concern is to be able to connect to a network. Any opinions to whats going on??
    I don't see where the "problem" is. Try being a little more specific next time and provide details. As for the naming convention who cares so long as it works. As for connecting to a network why don't you try and let us know if it works.
    The faq will give you more info as well.

Just burned his ISO

Im having the same problem, but there is a way to run it...type in terminal window wicd an then you can run it from the GUI...im having the same issue still dont know why.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    I don't see where the "problem" is. Try being a little more specific next time and provide details. As for the naming convention who cares so long as it works. As for connecting to a network why don't you try and let us know if it works.
    The faq will give you more info as well.
    Im having the same issue but ive found a way by typing in a terminal window "WICD" always when i start backtrack and then i can run its GUI from internet menu.

Just burned his ISO unclebrowny's Avatar

have you tried /etc/init.d/networking start ?

i suppose you could use dhclient <interface here>

or wicd start or if that does'nt work /etc/init.d/wicd start ,, then go to Kmenu>Internet>Wicd Network Manager and connect in a graphical environment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kris.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebrowny View Post
    have you tried /etc/init.d/networking start ?

i suppose you could use dhclient <interface here>

or wicd start or if that does'nt work /etc/init.d/wicd start ,, then go to Kmenu>Internet>Wicd Network Manager and connect in a graphical environment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Kris.
    Easyer Solution for lazy newbs:
    update-rc.d wicd defaults
    This will auto start wicd each boot, no more commands needed.
    If you want to add something else to the startup, replace "wicd" with what you want.

Just burned his ISO

Lightbulb Re: wicd will not start

When you startup, if you go into the menu, go to Services>NETWORK>start NETWORK.

That will run the Network-Startup script as afore mentioned. If you want to start your network before loading into the GUI, you can type the following:
    Code:
    sh -c "start network"
    You can also add that to your login script and not have to worry about it, but then that is one more step to go directly into testing out your cracking ability.

Oh and since I've gotten off topic, doing the above will allow you to start WICD from the menu. I've noticed, and it may be just for me, but if I shutdown with WICD running it tries to start when you start up X again, but without the network up it can't. If you are fast enough when the taskbar loads you can quickly go to where the start NETWORK deal is in the services menu and load it before it tries.

Hope that helps guys.

I typically just do

#start-network

right after I login to bt. This should fire up wicd for you.