Hi,

I recently acquired a BT4 live DVD. I have checked the md5sums for the files on the disk and they are all correct. It boots correctly on a separate laptop and a desktop and I have previously booted two seperate linux distributions on my laptop (a PacardBell EasyNote) however, when I boot from the BT4 DVD I am shown a message starting along the lines of 'Minimal BASH like editing supported....' and then a prompt reading 'grub>'. There have been a few previously reported cases of this which I have found in the archives but none of them seem to have any ways to fix the problem.

I have been trying to manually boot using the menu.lst file on the dvd as a guide, first selecting a root partition then trying to boot the kernel image, with or without the parameters suggested. My original plan was that after loading the kernel I would then use a command along the lines of 'initrd /boot/inidrd.gz' and then boot, however, I have not been able to successfully load the kernel image. Whenever I try to use a command starting with kernel the laptop freezes or enters some kind of infinite loop which I can only stop by manually rebooting the system. I have also tried to access the cd drive via an Ubuntu 9.10 partion using /media/cdrom(0) and /cdrom but these had no further visible success.

Any help or suggestions as to commands I should be trying are welcome.
Menu.lst file on the DVD is listed below.

Thank you for your time.
Q

Code:
# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

splashimage=/boot/grub/bt4.xpm.gz
foreground e3e3e3
background 303030

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (1024x768)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x317
initrd                /boot/initrd.gz

title                Start BackTrack FrameBuffer (800x600)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw quiet vga=0x314
initrd                /boot/initrd800.gz

title                Start BackTrack Forensics (no swap)
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
initrd                /boot/initrdfr.gz

title                Start BackTrack in Safe Graphical Mode
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper xforcevesa rw quiet 

title                Start Persistent Live CD
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper persistent rw quiet 

title                Start BackTrack in Text Mode
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent textonly rw quiet

title                Start BackTrack Graphical Mode from RAM
kernel                /boot/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper toram nopersistent rw quiet 

title                Memory Test
kernel                /boot/memtest86+.bin

title                Boot the First Hard Disk
root                (hd0)
chainloader +1