Thread: Problems with installing Back|Track

Just burned his ISO

Question Problems with installing Back|Track

I have twice attempted to install BT4 on my hard drive so I can dual boot with Windows 7,

After booting to the Live CD and clicking the Install.sh, I have used the manual partition option. I partitioned my drive in two partitions with my Windows installation being the 250GB partition and the Back|Track being 200GB.

All goes well until I try to install on the newly created partition and I get an error that says "No root file system found" and it won't let me continue unless I select my Windows partition, at which point it formats the entire drive.

I have done this twice and I get the same results. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and input.

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Problems with installing Back|Track

Did you maybe forget to set the mount point of the new partition to / ?

This is essentially covered in many of the installation tutorials of BT...anyway you have to select to use the partition as a "root file system".

When in manual mode select the partition, chose whatever filesystem you wish to use and whether or not to format it.
    Then under the box chose "/".

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by shinjuku View Post
    This is essentially covered in many of the installation tutorials of BT...anyway you have to select to use the partition as a "root file system".

When in manual mode select the partition, chose whatever filesystem you wish to use and whether or not to format it.
    Then under the box chose "/".
    I appreciate your input, however, it hasn't helped me in trying to install. For reference, see the image below. I chose to format it as NTFS and then FAT32, as well as using it as a Primary or a Logical partition. I also chose the mount point as dos and Windows and nothing I've done has helped.

################################################## #
    #
    # I would've edited/pasted my new post within this one but it wouldn't allow
    # more than 4 images to be posted within the same post. Sorry for the
    # trouble and disruption. I'm really hoping someone can assist me in getting
    # this installed on my drive. Thanks for reading.
    #
    ################################################## #
    Last edited by N3TD3ViL; 04-19-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Add comment

Just burned his ISO

I don't know if this will help or not but this is what I get when I follow the instructions found in the How-To.

As you can see, my options aren't anything like what is shown on the site.

The following two screenshots are what I see when I proceed with MANUAL mode.

After partitioning, it still tells me "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu".

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to resort to installing on an external or USB drive. I've tried several different ways and each time, I've had to re-image my laptop because even after partitioning and wiping the drive, it still gives me the "no root file system" error.

From your images you're still doing it wrong, and this is covered under the old tutorials.
    Anyway here's my spoon

Manual -> Choose unused partition -> Use as EXT3 or EXT2 -> Format the partition Yes -> Mount point: /

Do you see the forward slash? It indicates root file sys