After logging on to Back Track 4 the first thing you need to do is to connect to the internet.
To do that --
1) Open a Terminal
2) Type: /etc/init.d/wicd start and then press "Enter".
3) Type: update-rc.d wicd default and then press "Enter".
4) Now Click "K Menu" --> Select "Internet" and click on "Wicd Network Manager".
5) You will see the list of the Wireless networks. If you click "Connect" on your Network, you will get a message saying "This network requires encryption to be enabled", if there is a password for your network to connect.
6) To get rid of the message and to be connected to the network, do the following:
Just before of the name of your network you will see a small symbol like >. Click on it --> Click Check the option "Automatically connect to this network", if you need to and then click "Advanced Settings" --> Select the Encryption type and type the PASSPHRASE in the Key Box --> OK --> click "Connect". There we go........................Connected.
7) Update Back Track by typing: apt-get update and press "Enter".